New camera-pics look worse than my P&S

gc2010

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I apologize in advance as I am TOTALLY new to this. I just bought a Fujifilm S3280. Thought it was a nice upgrade from my 40 dollar P&S. The S3280 takes awesome outdoor shots. But any indoor shots I take are grainy and not crisp. I'm using it on the auto setting...as I don't really know how to adjust any other settings.

I would take one shot with the S3280 and one shot with my little Canon and the Canon shots always looked crystal clear. The S3280 shots look grainy and darker than the others...even with natural light coming in the windows.

Like I said I know nothing about settings. Can someone advise me here? I thought about taking the camera back (thinking it was defective) but decided it was probably user error and my lack of knowledge about how to use the camera.

Any thoughts?

I've searched the forum and found some responses that suggest higher ISO can make pics look grainy....but I don't even know what ISO is or how to change it?!?!? HELP

I apologize in advance as I am TOTALLY new to this. I just bought a Fujifilm S3280. Thought it was a nice upgrade from my 40 dollar P&S. The S3280 takes awesome outdoor shots. But any indoor shots I take are grainy and not crisp. I'm using it on the auto setting...as I don't really know how to adjust any other settings.

I would take one shot with the S3280 and one shot with my little Canon and the Canon shots always looked crystal clear. The S3280 shots look grainy and darker than the others...even with natural light coming in the windows.

Like I said I know nothing about settings. Can someone advise me here? I thought about taking the camera back (thinking it was defective) but decided it was probably user error and my lack of knowledge about how to use the camera.

Any thoughts?

I've searched the forum and found some responses that suggest higher ISO can make pics look grainy....but I don't even know what ISO is or how to change it?!?!? HELP

ISO refers to the light sensitivity. Generally you need to bump the ISO up in low light, but to high and yes it will be grainy. Your best bet is to read the manual to figure out how to change the ISO and shutter speed. If you can adjust the shutter speed.

I tried to upload a couple of pics...but it keeps telling me I do not have permission to access the page?! I will keep trying. In the meantime I will try to look up how to change the ISO and shutter speed. Are those two different things? I'm assuming yes.......so would shutter speed be the first thing to try? And when I adjust the shutter speed....am I adjusting it up or down?

Thank you!!!!

Your fuji from the factory and in Auto mode is set to Auto ISO so it can go as high as 1600 or 6400 in extended mode. all of these are probably really noisy and this would happen as you move indoors under natural light.

Instead of using Auto mode, use P mode. This is still an Auto exposure mode but it allows you to change some things including ISO and you must go into the F mode menu where you get the choice of things to change

Go to page 75 of you manual and it will show you how to change ISO, There are also two other Auto ISO modes that may help if you like Auto, Auto 800 and Auto 400. They are both Auto ISO modes but they provide a maximum ISO limit the camera will set to, 800 or 400 respectively. I, think one of those two would help in your shooting style (auto)

If you want to set your ISO manually you can also, use 100 or 200 for outdoors and 400 to 800 for indoors

I tried to upload a couple of pics...but it keeps telling me I do not have permission to access the page?! I will keep trying. In the meantime I will try to look up how to change the ISO and shutter speed. Are those two different things? I'm assuming yes.......so would shutter speed be the first thing to try? And when I adjust the shutter speed....am I adjusting it up or down?

Thank you!!!!

Generally, the less light you have you want to adjust your shutter speed down or slower to let more light in. But try the auto ISO feature that was mention in this thread first.

If you need step, by step help and the user manual is not helping, Look up yor camera model and issue on you tube(i.e Fujifilm S3280 ISO settings) and im sure there will be some sort of tuturial on there.

Read the user's manual for the camera and find a good photography book to read to help you understand the setting more.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you need to start learning about the more detailed side of photography. Have a read of the links in my signature, specifically the "Shutter speed, aperture and ISO" tutorial as well as the "Using P, A, S and M" modes tutorial. After that, read the "Basic exposure settings" tutorial and you'll be fairly well versed in the basics of photographic exposure.

If the images are more noisy, it could be due to many things, but most likely due to the Auto ISO as others have stated. Also, some Stabilization systems work by boosting the ISO to get a faster shutter speed to reduce camera shake. The canon may have an optical stabilization system that does not require this.

Most reactions

Back