New Camera

macboy81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys I just bought my new toy the NIKON D3100 Camera with AF-S DX 18-55 mm VR Zoom Lens. I also bought the SIGMA 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens. This is my first really camera and I bought this to have a hobby away from computers which is my hobby and job at the minute. I am keen on taking pictures of Animals and football. Still trying to get the hang of camera and settings at the min but seems like decent enough kit for the price.

Hope to peck some brains when i start to actually start taking pictures ;)

Welcome to the site. The first bit of info and suggestion you will get is to read the users manual at least once. That will help you to get to know the functions and buttons on it.

You can also search on the site for a TON of information as well.

First of all congratz for the new gear, if its your first DSLR gear there no doubt in my mind that you and your camera will be a true love story
If you are a beginer level photographer i really recommend that you'll visit froknowsphotos.com this dude explain absolutely everything , from the very first level up to pro, and beside that the dude hair is freakin' hilarious.
Im sure you're gonna have alot of fun with your new gear.

Remember no matter where are you going take your camera with you no matter what

Have a good time man!!.

thanks for the replies i will check out the manual (its hard as a man to read the manual its not natural) and i will check out the website

Welcome to TPF macboy. I would say, yes, persevere and read the manual. It's got some good stuff in it. PLus a few Japanese-English laughs too.

And be SURE not to operate the camera while in the shower. AND definitely, do NOT poke yourself in the eye as you adjust the metering mode dial! (I find those silly camera-maker warnings to be a riot!)

Congratulations. That is a great camera. Our friend has the same camera and is addicted to it. Can't go wrong. You might find yourself away from the computer way more now.

That's a plenty good kit for starters. Always treat the equipment like a tool. Master it, and make sure it doesn't master you.

i think i will need to keep an eye out for a tripod from reading up and long distance pics im looking forward to our next trip to our local zoo see what pics i can get

Ha ha must remember never to use it in the shower

Congrats on the purchase! Now get out there and SHOOT something!

Amazing how closely photography reflects the military ..

They both love their toys
The equipment is expensive
They're strange people
They work day and night
Both have targets to aim at

And both want to get out there and SHOOT something!

:lmao:

Congrats on the purchase! Now get out there and SHOOT something!

Amazing how closely photography reflects the military ..

They both love their toys
The equipment is expensive
They're strange people
They work day and night
Both have targets to aim at

And both want to get out there and SHOOT something!

:lmao:

LOL! I'm stealing this... :)

first of all welcome to TPF. Congratulation for new camera and gear. I'm sure you will have very good time with d3100. It's a very nice camera

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.
The Nikon D3100 is a nice starters camera and the 18-55mm is the most basic lens Nikon is making these days, sadly people really forget what a great little lens this really is for its price. Your Sigma is yet another nice lens.
Your current camera and lens will be great for sports shooting as long as there is plenty of light outside.
If you will do night sport photography you probably find very fast your current gear is a bit too slow for this kind of photography.
For night sports photograpgy you need a very fast lens and preferably a camera which you can bump up the ISO and still get nice clean shots and not grainy ones.

Most reactions

Back