NEW Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake lens

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
cool... perfect lens for uncle bobbing :).

Looks neat, but I can't help but think it would be ridiculous and a pain to hold on my 5D3. My left hand wouldn't have anything to support the camera, plus Canon doesn't exactly make small bodies to take advantage of such a tiny lens.

Looks neat, but I can't help but think it would be ridiculous and a pain to hold on my 5D3. My left hand wouldn't have anything to support the camera, plus Canon doesn't exactly make small bodies to take advantage of such a tiny lens.

Your left hand can hold a bottle of beer.

Your left hand can hold a bottle of beer.

974-my-god.jpg

I'm really curious about this lens. It's just a little wider than the 50mm and f/2.8 should be plenty adequate for most situations. Would probably be a good indoor lens.

I'd like to know how this actually performs though... I can't seem to find any reviews yet.

It's not even out yet - but it is up for pre-orders. So chances are you won't see reviews till its shipping

It's cute, but is there an optical advantage here somewhere? F/2.8 on a 40mm isn't really blowing my skirt up here.

Maybe this means an EF-s mount compact mirrorless camera is in the works for canon, something that would be relevant to my interests...

I guess if I am not mistaken, you can use this STM on the new Rebel T4i and you will get quiet continuous auto focus while you are on video. Does that mean this technology wont work on the previous rebel video and other canon cameras?

fokker said:
Maybe this means an EF-s mount compact mirrorless camera is in the works for canon, something that would be relevant to my interests...

Apparently there is from what I've read

Buckster said:
It's cute, but is there an optical advantage here somewhere? F/2.8 on a 40mm isn't really blowing my skirt up here.

Same here. I was kind of expecting it to be like f/1.0 since it's so thin. I'm sure that would raise some eyebrows lol

Whilst f2.8 isn't mind blowing the size of the lens certainly is - its tiny in thickness. It won't be the kind of "pro" lens you manually focus and use for portrait work - its the kind of lens you bolt to your camera and go for a walk with (with the pint in the other hand as suggested ;)).

The STM focus setup will be interesting though in seeing how it measures up to USM in practical terms and also how Canon decides to use it. It carries bonuses for film cameras, but unless its very new, Canon hasn't used it in many of their line revisions that they've been pushing out recently. This might mean that whilst its superior for video, that its not as good as USM - or that there is little to no difference between its performance and USM performance in terms of still photography. Maybe this means non-parfocal zooms like the 24-70mm f2.8 MII will be USM whilst possible future parfocal zooms (Eg a possible 24-105mm) could be STM

It looks like manually focusing would be awful. The focus ring is soooooooo tiny.

Most reactions

Back