New Computer Day...

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
To be honest if anyone has any real experience with these units then let it fly. So far the cost for hardware is unbeatable...

Acer Aspire 5672WLMi-120GB-XPH
Intel Core Duo T2300 (2MB L2 cache, 1.66GHz, 667MHz FSB),
2GB (1024/1024) DDR2 667,
120GB SATA 5400
DVD+-RW,RAM(Dual Layer),
15.4" LCD(ATI X1400(128MB DDR), Acer CrystalBrite),
Built-in Acer OrbiCam 1.3M,
802.11a/b/g,
WinXP Home

I'm going to pick it up after work. If anyone has any experience with Acer I would love to hear it.

So far my purchase went from a new mac to a new dell inspiron to this.

I would love the mac, but for half the price I got a pc with twice the power and in some cases 3 times (512 ram as opposed to 2gb with the Acer??!)

And I just refuse to work with Dell. They lost my sale when the person I called to order from couldn't understand an effing word I said. FIRED!

Acer are the lappies im looking at right now..... so glad your getting one.... the spec looks good..... and one of the IT guys upstairs reckoned they're made mostly by Sony...... so if that is the case, you should be happy with that.

Honestly, those specs are insane for the price.

$1550 CDN.

From Dell for $1480 I was looking at this;

100gb
1gb ram
128 Radion
No Bluetooth
No built in Camera
The DVD burner would have been tray loaded. Acer is slot loading.
And the FSB was only 557 or something stupid. It didn't match the RAM.

I've not found Acer to be particularly good for PCs in the UK. There are major differences between Europe and the US for companies however, so don't let that put you off. They sell more laptops than anyone else in Europe and Asia, depending on who you believe. Dell have made great efforts to improve their customer service and sales in Europe, employing people who can actually speak the language now, but it sounds like the US needs a shakeup though!

Rob

Rob said:
I've not found Acer to be particularly good for PCs in the UK. There are major differences between Europe and the US for companies however, so don't let that put you off. They sell more laptops than anyone else in Europe and Asia, depending on who you believe. Dell have made great efforts to improve their customer service and sales in Europe, employing people who can actually speak the language now, but it sounds like the US needs a shakeup though!

Rob

Dell and most companies in North America have outsourced all thier customer service to India as of late. While I have nothing against those who live in India and their ability to speak English, which for the most part they are more than capable of doing, I feel that I lose translation when I'm asking specific questions that aren't necessarily on the "scripted answers" page. The product knowledge and ability to identify my specific needs are completely out of wack.

And for that, I poo-poo on Dell, not India.

NO BUSINESS FOR YOU DELL!

kelox said:
(I must admit, most issues were Windoze related)

Aren't all PC problems. Despite the occasional hardware problem that's usually due to manufacturing fault it's usually all software related.

It's why I would love to get a mac, but I know how to keep a pc clean and running smoothly so I don't mind taking the time to upkeep a pc to save on the cost.

I'm having that arguement on another forum with a guy who doesn't even use computers for any work related sh!t.

Computers pretty sweet.

The pad sensor thing gets pretty warm though.

We bought an acer several (10+) years ago, and I have to say, it was a piece of junk. However, if they're still in business, I have to suspect they've changed significantly. As far as customer service goes, I've found that most US call centers are equally bad as those located elsewhere once you get off the script. For real fun when they ask what version of windows you're using, say "I'm using linux."
And I'll take all the overseas call centers in the world over the one for the Gas company. But that's another topic all together.

morydd said:
We bought an acer several (10+) years ago, and I have to say, it was a piece of junk. However, if they're still in business, I have to suspect they've changed significantly. As far as customer service goes, I've found that most US call centers are equally bad as those located elsewhere once you get off the script. For real fun when they ask what version of windows you're using, say "I'm using linux."
And I'll take all the overseas call centers in the world over the one for the Gas company. But that's another topic all together.

My opinion of Acer is rooted way in the past too.. and for good reason.

But from what I can see now days they are putting out some good quality stuff. In fact they just announced a 2ms refresh LCD that is being targetted to gamers.

So far I've seen nothing out of the ordinary. Hardware is seemingly working fine.

One question though. The duo cores. What exactly are they capable of? And is Window XP Home capable of properly utilizing their abilities?

I was told that if I want to take full advantage of the processor I should get XP Pro. If that's the case, I'm gonna pretty much demand it from Acer. Who sells a system with an OS that doesn't even work properly on the comp?

acer has improved TONS over the years, and they have become a reputable source for laptops and LCDs. Your system setup is quite nice actually, that's a killer price. Do you know if the memory is setup in dual-channel? That's a great bonus if it is.

the intel's core-duo processors are dual-core processors, so basically they have more latitude for multi-tasking and cpu-heavy processing than single core processors do. Contrary to popular belief, they do not perform twice as fast as single core processors. unfortunately, not alot of programs are dual-core capable, so most of them will only require only one of the system cores. don't worry, your cpu is actually quite fast (i have a couple friends with the t2500's and they are exceptionally fast when it comes to straight processing).

I love XP pro, but unless you like to fool alot with software, hardware, and system properties (And want more control with system safety and such) then XP home will be sufficient. The base framework for both is the same, so one won't perform faster over the other in most cases. I wouldn't recommend XP media center, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back