New computer?

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about getting a new computer since I am working on my 4 year old laptop. So... its been a LONG time since I have even thought about a new computer and looking at what is out there, I'm lost. Part of me is saying "just buy a mac and be done" but the other part of me has no money!:lol:

I know that I need a pretty good monitor, I'd like 1TB hard drive. That is all I know. I like the idea of the "all in one" but I'm guessing that it isn't ideal for photos?? Ideally I'd like to spend less than $1000 if that is possible.

Give me your 2 cents worth and help me decide. Thanks!

This depends so much on what you'll be doing, e.g., which photo software, what size files, which other applications you may want to run (games of course are the most demanding). A good mid-level PC (ca. $600-700) should be plenty for Photoshop and at least medium-sized PS files, and that should leave you enough for a good monitor.

I don't game. Other than photoshop/lightroom all I do is surf the web and upload my pics to zenfolio. I'd have creative cloud though so InDesign and Illustrator would also be installed. Can you recommend some monitors.... because really the iMac is really tempting.

In reality you are not so much buying a computer. You are buying an operating system.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. You need to decide what is best for you in your situation. Mac's up front are more expensive, but I am posting this from a 2010 MBP 17" that is as fast today as the day I bought it and has given 0% trouble. The cost up front was more than the a Windows machine, but the back end cost has been cheaper. It works for me and my wife as we are Apple all the way after years of Windows machines..

That however is not to say it will work for you or is right for you. Up front cost have to be considered in anyone's budget. I will say this however what ever you choose be it Windows or Mac buy the best you can afford. It will last you longer than the bargain basement stuff and be of more use.

The thing is, I have bought exclusively PC for home use because of cost. At work I have used exclusively Mac, and I am now considering Mac for home because of my re-found love for photography. I am comfortable with both platforms but have to admit that I prefer the Mac for Photoshop. I guess I just feel like I don't know what I need as far as PC memory, processor etc. I know a mac will work... ya know.

The thing is, I have bought exclusively PC for home use because of cost. At work I have used exclusively Mac, and I am now considering Mac for home because of my re-found love for photography. I am comfortable with both platforms but have to admit that I prefer the Mac for Photoshop. I guess I just feel like I don't know what I need as far as PC memory, processor etc. I know a mac will work... ya know.

If you go Mac go with a mid to upper end processor and plenty of memory. I have maxed both my MBP and my 27" iMac and they both handle LR4, CS6 and anything else I throw at it with ease. If you go with a MBP with Retina Display you need to max your memory up front as you can not do so later. I suspect that in a generation or two that will change, but for now you cannot.

You pay a 'shiny tax' when you buy a Mac. Today, they have the same hardware in them PC's have.

As you noted, a key is getting a good display, or 2. A good IPS display is desired and having dual displays is nice so one can display the image being edited while the work pallets are over on the second display.
A pen tablet (Wacom) simplifies a lot of edits.

WrkStatn1-2-10_0028.jpg

My daughter has a 2012 Asus with an i7 processor. It handles the Adobe Creative Suite and anything else thrown at it wonderfully. It was $750. Buy what you want for photography needs, but take the 4 year old laptop, install Linux and use it as a fast, worry-free web surfing machine. I'm sitting here running Ubuntu on my son's 5 year old laptop. It's blazing fast, always up to date and I simply don't have to worry about things like windows viruses or BSOD.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back