New Critique Section/Revamp

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to post this here, in case any fellow members are on the same page with me about this issue. I feel that either 1) The current critique section needs to be expanded to allow for "general" critique, or 2) We need a "general critique" section that doesn't double as a gallery.

I'll explain. I have two problems with the "specific question" policy.

1) Beginners often don't know why their photos are bad, which is precisely why they should ask such general questions as "why doesn't this photo look like what I was going for?" or alternatively, why they might be unable to ask specific questions, since they don't know exactly what the problem is to begin with.

2) I think that it's particularly important that experienced photographers be able to request general critique for their photos. To be able to request a critique of a photo that you personally can't find anything wrong with can be a very enlightening thing.

I think there is one major problem with the structure of the critique section(s) that warrants either an expansion or a new section. That is, the fact that the general gallery doubles as a gallery for those who simply want to show off their photos, and as a "general" critique section. I feel that the two are largely incompatible, because there are far more people who simply want to show off their work than there are people requesting general critique, or at the very least, those specifically asking for critique are overshadowed by the sheer number of people posting "gallery" shots. It is clear to me, having been a member of this forum for some time now, that the general gallery gets flooded by people simply wanting to post photos. That's perfectly fine, and I think that they should be able to do that. But I think it is more important to the principles of a community of photographers that we have a legitimately useful "general" critique section.

Any and all responses are welcome. If you disagree, then that's perfectly fine. Of course I'd like to see that others on the board share my sentiments. But I am fast growing tired of all the mods just deferring to the critique forum rules. I don't think that the status quo should justify the preservation of the status quo.

I said it elsewhere, I will say it again here. I agree.

I find a gap between bothe sections (critique and general gallery)... for pretty much the same reasons Max states.

Most reactions

Back