New D-90

Am I the only one that found this guide a bit retarded?

Why are they all aperture priority?! Even for action and sports?!

Does anyone have a better setup guide link? It would be appreciated :D

A lot of the settings just don't make sense. Especially lumping Nature and Landscape together... Setting your shooting mode to CH but limiting the FPS to 1fps...?

You really don't need a guide. Chances are if you don't know what the setting should be... it's fine wherever Nikon set it. Once you become more familiar with the camera and how to use all the functions you'll be able to make your own guides... that actually make sense.

Am I the only one that found this guide a bit retarded?

Why are they all aperture priority?! Even for action and sports?!

Does anyone have a better setup guide link? It would be appreciated :D

A lot of the settings just don't make sense. Especially lumping Nature and Landscape together... Setting your shooting mode to CH but limiting the FPS to 1fps...?

You really don't need a guide. Chances are if you don't know what the setting should be... it's fine wherever Nikon set it. Once you become more familiar with the camera and how to use all the functions you'll be able to make your own guides... that actually make sense.

Im very famillar with my D90, I just want to make a some custom menus for quick shooting. The problem is I havent found that sweet spot yet. Ill just let it come with time.

First you have to learn how to read...

For sports it says to set it on CH, CL setting is the only place it says to set it to 1fps - but you don't use this.

There's a reason it's called a GUIDE, you can adjust it according to your needs ;)

For anyone who needs some help getting started, I feel he does a great job with some generic settings to get you going. He has them for quite a few camera bodies, just change the link or browse the images directory.

D300: http://www.outthereimages.com/images/D300_Setup_Guide.pdf for example.

First you have to learn how to read...

For sports it says to set it on CH, CL setting is the only place it says to set it to 1fps - but you don't use this.

There's a reason it's called a GUIDE, you can adjust it according to your needs ;)

For anyone who needs some help getting started, I feel he does a great job with some generic settings to get you going. He has them for quite a few camera bodies, just change the link or browse the images directory.

D300: http://www.outthereimages.com/images/D300_Setup_Guide.pdf for example.

I read through all his guides. One of them had it set CH to 1fps. Might have been a typo since the others do say CL. However, that still doesn't make sense. Even if you don't use CL, why change a setting you don't use? And why change it to something useless? Why would a beginner be using multiple color spaces? Why would anyone?

If a beginner wants a guide that they can adjust according to their needs... guess what? The default Nikon settings are perfect for that!

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I'm such a skitz, I set up 'bracketing' and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't automatically shoot three frames when I pushed the release once. I found a Nikon tutorial on U-tube and learned that you had to punch it three times. Damned if it didn't work! I am taking all your suggestions very seriously. Thanks a million. Tom

Certainly have the manual with you all times and try to get away from the auto modes. The first 1,000 shots are the most interesting, feel free to post them up for CC.

I bought the Magic Lantern D80 guide and I learned a lot about my camera. I would imagine the guide for the D90 would be as useful.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back