New D3100- to VR or not VR?

gregisaraddude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just getting into the world of DSLR photography and can't wait to get started but I want to make sure I'm making the right equipment choices. I'm torn between the D3100 kit that comes with an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lenses, but aren't VR lenses, or the d3100 body that comes with only an 18-55mmVR lens. Am i better off with the one VR lens or two non-VR lenses as a beginner.

Thanks for the help!

Honestly I would try to get a D5100 or D3200 without VR over any kind of D3100 combination.

You really don't need a VR on such a small zoom like the 18-55mm, its nice to have it but not a must.
On a larger zoom like the 55-200mm then its more recommended but if you will shoot mostly in good lighting condition and have a steady hand then you can get by with no VR for that either.

Personally I'll never have a non-VR lens again. If I don't need VR for a given situation I can turn it off. If I need it, such as in relatively low light with relatively slow shutter speeds, then it's invaluable.

Thanks for the tip. The price difference for 5100 with the 18-55mm VR is only $100 more than the D3100 with the two lenses, i think that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the tip. The price difference for 5100 with the 18-55mm VR is only $100 more than the D3100 with the two lenses, i think that's what I'll do.

The D5100 is a MUCH better camera than the D3100. That is a wise move. I'd also recommend skipping the 55-200 lens as well. I'm not a big fan of that lens, and to be honest I don't even know where mine is. If you need more reach take a long hard look at the Nikkor 70-300 VRII. It is an excellent moderately priced lens, and hard to beat for the price.

Rule #1 when it comes to VR is only turn it on when it's needed.
Nikon VR explained

Totally. I've read up a bunch, but also read a lot that says I wont use the VR much at all, but its one of things where i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Big purchase for me so I want to make sure i'm doing it as smart as possible!

The D5100 is a MUCH better camera than the D3100. That is a wise move. I'd also recommend skipping the 55-200 lens as well. I'm not a big fan of that lens, and to be honest I don't even know where mine is. If you need more reach take a long hard look at the Nikkor 70-300 VRII. It is an excellent moderately priced lens, and hard to beat for the price.

+1

I would either go 18-200mm VR or 18-55 & 70-300 VR/VRII.

VR is much better to have and not need than to need and not have. The D3100 takes great pictures too.

You will not be sorry for getting the D5100, its a very good camera with very good low light performance.
As for the 70-300mm VR, this is my favorite lens, its so sharp and on a DX body its reach is amazing.

Up to 200 mm in focal length, VR is a solution without a problem.

Depends on the light. In good light I agree. In poor light where shutter speeds get low I feel it helps a great deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back