new d70s or used d100 w/ 3 lenses & flash

jimaroo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have a d50 and im returning to the store, i barely used it but i decided to save a little more for the d70s. but now a guy who used to shoot weddings is going to sell me a used d100 with 3 lenses and a flash for a grand. i can get the d70s for 900, but i wasn't sure witch would be a better deal.

i get a worenty with the d70 but not the used one

any advise

thanks

im not sure, he has come to my work to show me, but i had those days off, i think it might be a couple years old though

Also what are the 3 lenses you would get? I don't recall the specifics for the d100 but I think the d70s was supposed to be a very big improvement over the d100.

I'd go with d70s... it's new and you'll have a warranty...

I'd get the D70s, it has much better metering, larger buffer, higher flash sync speed, program modes (which may or may not be a plus, I never use them), D70s has i_TTL flash capabilites, picture quality is at least as good, some say better with the D70s. The D100 is built a little more solid (but it's not sealed against dust and water real well) and the viewfinder is better on the D100. I wouldn't say either one is really a pro camara (but pros use both) . New vs. new would be close, but new D70s vs. used D100, it's the D70s. I know of a few people that bought a D70 as a backup to the D100 when the D70 came out and ended up using the D70 more.
Camera choice is highly personal. You need to handle both and see which you prefer, D100 condition will be a factor as well.

Just noticed this: why don't you like the D50?

dsp921 said:
Just noticed this: why don't you like the D50?

i don't really know i hear that the lens that comes with the d70s is far better than the one that comes with the d50, and the d70s has a few more fetures with it, i just heard its a bit better i dont know if its $200 better, but some guys at the photo den here in town told me it would be a wiser choice. not that it matters, but i also like that the d70s uses a cf card instead of an sd.

do you think the d70s is a better choice?

jimaroo said:
do you think the d70s is a better choice?

The D70 has features that I thought were worth the extra money. The two command dials mainly, much easier to set, having a backlit panel is nice, too. The D70s is also slightly bigger and feels better in my hands. The 18-70mm is definitely a better lens than the 18-55 that comes with the D50. Which is the better choice really depends on the person. If you can live without the second command dial, etc, then the D50 is fine. You can always get a 18-70mm, there are a few on the used market that are basically new, people bought a D200 kit with one when the body only wasn't available. People that bought the 18-200mm are also selling their 18-70mm.

Most reactions

Back