photo1x1.com

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo1x1.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi people,
I´ve been investing a lot of money lately in sony cameras and lenses and have also been recommending their mirrorless camera line to many here that have been looking for camera advice because I think currently they are the most innovative camera manufacturer and I think due to their financial- and manpower that won´t change soon.

They just released a new app for their cameras which might be very, very interesting for some of our landscape photographers: Sony Digital Filter camera app merges parts of three images into one
It seems to output raw. I guess I´m gonna try that. I wonder what you people think about it.

Innovative Sony 70-200/2.8 lens teardown...takes 6 hours to dissasemble a zoom lens that breaks after a 2-foot drop...

Completing the Teardown of the Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS: Part II

Sorry, but the link was right there with a photo, on the exact page you linked us to! The article and the comments were of some interest to me.

Innovative Sony 70-200/2.8 lens teardown...takes 6 hours to dissasemble a zoom lens that breaks after a 2-foot drop...

Completing the Teardown of the Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS: Part II

Sorry, but the link was right there with a photo, on the exact page you linked us to! The article and the comments were of some interest to me.
haha, good reply and valid counterargument - even though I only rushed through the article and mainly read the summary :D

Surprising that two very heavy lens sections were put together internally using a thin, flimsy aluminum washer, when the remainder of the lens is so over-engineered it took six hours to dissassemble. And the silicone glue use...like the one guy said, good for products that are designed to never be repaired, but a bad idea on items like this. Just odd engineering choices, or "unbalanced design" as the one fellow said; over-engineered in most areas, but then a really bad decision that compromises the entire lens design. I dunno...this type of engineering is why last week I recommended that people wait a bit before heralding the new Tamron 70-200/2.8 g2 as The Next Big Thing: we have no idea how well Tamron's brand-new lens will hold up under use in the real world.

I don't think anything about it at all, I don't shoot Sony.

Surprising that two very heavy lens sections were put together internally using a thin, flimsy aluminum washer, when the remainder of the lens is so over-engineered it took six hours to dissassemble. And the silicone glue use...like the one guy said, good for products that are designed to never be repaired, but a bad idea on items like this. Just odd engineering choices, or "unbalanced design" as the one fellow said; over-engineered in most areas, but then a really bad decision that compromises the entire lens design. I dunno...this type of engineering is why last week I recommended that people wait a bit before heralding the new Tamron 70-200/2.8 g2 as The Next Big Thing: we have no idea how well Tamron's brand-new lens will hold up under use in the real world.
True, Derrel. They could have really done better.
But I do usually far more look at the images I can create with a tool that what it would be like to repair it. It´s so much more fun ;).
But on the other hand I have ensurance fo all of my equipment and I only dropped a lens once in all the years (knock on wood). And that one was not possible to repair at all, even though the glass was not damaged, and the lens was just a couple of months old.

Hi people,
I´ve been investing a lot of money lately in sony cameras and lenses and have also been recommending their mirrorless camera line to many here that have been looking for camera advice because I think currently they are the most innovative camera manufacturer and I think due to their financial- and manpower that won´t change soon.

They just released a new app for their cameras which might be very, very interesting for some of our landscape photographers: Sony Digital Filter camera app merges parts of three images into one
It seems to output raw. I guess I´m gonna try that. I wonder what you people think about it.
That looks pretty kewl. Like an HDR image but in RAW with distinct cutting segments though in camera, rather than processed on a tablet/ laptop/ computer.

But what he me really intrigued is that do they have an Open "Camera OS" to install 3rd party apps to it? Such as this $30 Digital Filter ?

You could think about it from a technical progress point of view. This gets closer to something I was hoping for for many years, namely exposing darker parts of an image different from a brighter in a single image - preferrably every single pixel or clusters of pixels. Similar to HDR, but much more subtle and refined.

Hi people,

That looks pretty kewl. Like an HDR image but in RAW with distinct cutting segments though in camera, rather than processed on a tablet/ laptop/ computer.

But what he me really intrigued is that do they have an Open "Camera OS" to install 3rd party apps to it? Such as this $30 Digital Filter ?
Unfortunately it is not a third party app, but a sony one - this playmemoriesapps site belongs to sony, even though it looks pretty cheap :D.
But since people have hacked other cameras OS, who knows where this is leading.

You could think about it from a technical progress point of view. This gets closer to something I was hoping for for many years, namely exposing darker parts of an image different from a brighter in a single image - preferrably every single pixel or clusters of pixels. Similar to HDR, but much more subtle and refined.
"Technical progress point of view" = wishes. Nice but of no use to me since I don't shoot Sony.

Digital Filter supports the following camera models:

• Alpha a7
  • Alpha a7 II
  • Alpha a7R
  • Alpha a7R II
  • Alpha a7s
  • Alpha a7s II
  • Alpha a6000
  • Alpha a6300
  • Alpha a6500
  • RX100 III
  • RX100 IV
  • RX100 V
  • RX10 II
  • RX10 III
  • RX1R II
Not a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, etc. in the bunch.

"Technical progress point of view" = wishes. Nice but of no use to me since I don't shoot Sony.

• Alpha a7
  • Alpha a7 II
  • Alpha a7R
  • Alpha a7R II
  • Alpha a7s
  • Alpha a7s II
  • Alpha a6000
  • Alpha a6300
  • Alpha a6500
  • RX100 III
  • RX100 IV
  • RX100 V
  • RX10 II
  • RX10 III
  • RX1R II
It will be of use, promised. Im sure other manufacturers are on a similar track.

Hi people,

Unfortunately it is not a third party app, but a sony one - this playmemoriesapps site belongs to sony, even though it looks pretty cheap :D.
But since people have hacked other cameras OS, who knows where this is leading.
==> Sony warns against use of unauthorized third-party apps

but it is interesting that they are moving towards a "device" with memory that you an use to work in. Think of merging a smartphone into a camera now, which is what some people complain about that you cannot edit and upload images from your camera directly.

So Sony is moving towards this by adding apps to their cameras (which will require another processor maybe, and more memory for that processing and storage). Then with Wifi or using your cameras Wifi to bounce a final edited image to social media .. something cameras are competing against with smart phones (just read about all the "DSLRs are dead" threads.

• Alpha a7
  • Alpha a7 II
  • Alpha a7R
  • Alpha a7R II
  • Alpha a7s
  • Alpha a7s II
  • Alpha a6000
  • Alpha a6300
  • Alpha a6500
  • RX100 III
  • RX100 IV
  • RX100 V
  • RX10 II
  • RX10 III
  • RX1R II
It will be of use, promised. Im sure other manufacturers are on a similar track.
If I had a dime for every photographic promise that has been made I would have retired when I was 20 instead of 60. It's nothing that we haven't been doing for years in Photoshop.

I watched the video....the software's performance looked good on the horizontally-oriented landscape image they selected for the video demonstrartion of the softeware, but I was left wondering how it would work on less-zonal types of shots. Kind of like digital gradient filters, I wondered how will it translate to othere types of scenes? How good is this app? How fully developed is this software? As gryph mentioned, photographic promises are a dime a dozen.

Sony's statement, the one dPreview quoted, was like one sentence. VERY lukewarm (weak) marketing for this new product. Just bad PR work...needed more information from the company, more support, a show of actual enthusiasm. Makes me wonder if this product really will have much use, or if it is just another sales and on-line demonstration feature? Was this designed just to get geeks interested in the software? Rather than a single, silent video, I would be more enthused to see a selection of sample images, or real scenes, some before/after comparisons, so it would be possible to evaluate this app's usefulness based on HQ, still images, and not based off of what is shown on some tiny promo video.

In-camera editing has been around for a while, but so far has not garnered widespread use/support/enthusiasm, but if it can be improved upon, I am all for it. But Sony's video has left me wondering how well it works on more than just typical, horizontally-striated landscapes. Does it offer any Smart Masking, like Adobe's digital fill light capability? Can it sense highlight tones and separate them from mids and low-tones? What--EXACTLY-can be done with this app?

The manual is online. So you can see all of it's features, which isn't many but more than basic in-camera HDR and seems to be able to select up to 3 different shaped sections for different exposures, WB, etc.
==> PlayMemories Camera Apps Help Guide

Most reactions

New Topics

Back