New DSLR nikon D90, and 35 mm wide angle lens?

crackers2010

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i just bought my coworkers Nikon D90. It's used but in great condition. She upgraded to the 300.

My question is this. I was reading pioneer woman and she talks about the 35 mm wide angle lens and what it can do. I love it! It does everything that I want to start experimenting with. (i'm an extreme beginner and have never owned a DSLR). I want to do bokeh shots, up close shots, and would love to do some wide angle shots like she described. here is a link

My Current Favorite Lens | Pioneer Woman Photography | Ree Drummond

my question is...someone had commented on the fact that she uses a full frame camera with her 35 mm and a 35 mm might not act the same way on the nikon d90 that i have?

Could someone tell me if the 35 mm wide angle would work the same way on my d90?

if not, what lens do you recommend that would give me macro food shots, good bokeh shots of people/flowers etc, and give me the wide angle that i'm looking for in landscapes. plus i just love wide angle shots!

thanks for your help you guys are great

It will work the same way, but the field of view will be different (you won't get as much of the scene in the frame).

I can't recommend the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 enough for what you're wanting to do, it's an incredible lens and rather versatile as well. Bokeh is great and it can be sharp as a tack.

Having owned the 35 f/1.8 I think it's still fairly wide for most things, and for the most part it's a few steps back to capture the same field of view - if that's possible where you shoot than it shouldn't be an issue.

That 20mm lens she shows would be closer to what you'd want I would think.

if your looking for a nice 35mm lens for your D90 I'd recommend trying the 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX I own one and I hardly ever take it off my D90 and it will produces an actual 35mm focal length for a DX sensor. As for your question "someone had commented on the fact that she uses a full frame camera with her 35 mm and a 35 mm might not act the same way on the nikon d90 that i have?" This is true the lens she showed on the page is for film or FX digital cameras and would give you approx. a 52.5mm focal length not a 35mm this is because the sensor in the D90 is smaller than an FX camera. If you have a camera shop around you it might be a good idea to go down and take a look at a few lenses and bring your camera along and test them out.

You will not be able to aheive the same perspective and bokeh that she does with the d90. This is due to you having to be further away from the subject to achieve the same composition, resulting in a flater perspective and wider dof.

Your results with the 35mm would look more similar to what she would get out of a 50mm f2.8 lens.

Sigma makes a 24mm f1.8 lens for around $450 that would be very close to the 35mm, but it may not be as sharp wide-open (since it's 3rd party). The bokeh would also affected negatively, with a slightly wider DOF due to the shorter focal length. Nikon does make a 24mm f1.4 that would perform nearly identically to the 35mm f1.8 on full frame. But it cost $2000. :-0

The 20mm f2.8 would give you a much wider DOF then she's getting from her 35mm f1.8.

There are more benefits to full-frame then the noise levels! ;)

Most reactions

Back