New Film/Digital Camera?

urufan56

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ehphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I'm still looking around for the best choice in buying a good camera fit for me and my shooting habits. I was just wondering if some of you could help me decide what is the best camera system for my shooting habits (Ex: Film vs. Digital)

- I like to shoot nature photography.
- I'm wanting to get into shooting portrait photography.
- I want to have a really good quality image when I shoot.
- A rugged camera system (Body; Lens) that will last years to come.
- As cheap as possible ( ~ $300.00 for Starters)
- Simple enought to let me worry about taking the picture and not battery life(Just an Example).
- Portability isn't needed but would be nice.

I'm sure this isn't all of them, but It's basically what I need. Thanks so much! :sexywink:

It's getting old, and I don't use it much, and I would like to get a newer camera. Plus the back film door is broken, so it is hard to take pictures.

Canon EF, it uses all the same lenses as your AE-1 and is far more durable than the AE-1. For Wild life with the assistance of a 400mm lens it is just a great investment. Batteries are not as reaidilly available as those for the AE-1 but they are available at any Radio Shack. Batterylife is actually better than the AE-1 as the only thing that uses the bateries is the meter and long exposures of 1/1 up to 1/30 (all the rest is fully mechanical). Another interesting note is it uses the same viewfinder as the AE-1, so you won't have to fiddle around with learning a new viewfinder.

Some of the wildlife I have done with mine.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/155896-prolly-one-most-common-birds-world.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/148666-cold-cold-cold-cold.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/145341-dukat.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/142063-blackcapped-chikadee.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/140463-turkey-vulture.html - Captive bird

As for portrature, I do not have much to speak of but get your self a good FD 85mm 1.8 and you can't go wrong.

The EF body and a good Vivitar 400mm with a little digging and browsing can be found in the neighborhood of $300 (USD)

Last edited:
Well with the onslaught of Digital, a great quality semi pro/pro film camera is well within grasp for your budget range, and there is no lack in quality when it comes to film, the pictures will be crisp and clear, but will still not match digitals smooth crayonlike look, but the quality will never be disappointing. i shoot with a Canon Rebel T2 film camera and have never had any troubles. although its not built with the highest of quality, i am just careful with it and i expect it to last a long while. But if you want ruggedness, get a body molded with magnesium, the Elan series was a decent quality midrange SLR. and lots should still be out there, even brand new. plus if you hold off getting a DSLR the prices for the top of the line models now will only be going down. thats why im waiting.:thumbup:

I would have to agree with Battou, the EF would be an excellent replacement for your old AE-1, allow you to continue using your lens(es) etc, and be very familiar. This is assuming you want to stay with a MF film camera.

Allan

I would definetly stay manual focus film if I were you. Plus I have a Canon fd mount 200-500mm lens for sale

Thanks for all the quick replies! :D

Well with the onslaught of Digital, a great quality semi pro/pro film camera is well within grasp for your budget range, and there is no lack in quality when it comes to film, the pictures will be crisp and clear, but will still not match digitals smooth crayonlike look, but the quality will never be disappointing. i shoot with a Canon Rebel T2 film camera and have never had any troubles. although its not built with the highest of quality, i am just careful with it and i expect it to last a long while. But if you want ruggedness, get a body molded with magnesium, the Elan series was a decent quality midrange SLR. and lots should still be out there, even brand new. plus if you hold off getting a DSLR the prices for the top of the line models now will only be going down. thats why im waiting.:thumbup:

With what you said, I was looking on the internet and found the Canon EOS-1N, and it looked like a good qulity camera. But most of all (I probably should of said this earlier) since a swich to digital in the future will probably happen to me, I liked the fact that I could use the EOS lens I would of bought for the EOS-1N and I would be able to use them with another newer Canon model if I ever wanted to upgrade to digital. Therefore saving me money. If I'm wrong, correct me.

I would definetly stay manual focus film if I were you. Plus I have a Canon fd mount 200-500mm lens for sale

What is good about manual focus compared to auto focus?

Thanks for all the replies!! :thumbup:

Thanks for all the quick replies! :D

With what you said, I was looking on the internet and found the Canon EOS-1N, and it looked like a good qulity camera. But most of all (I probably should of said this earlier) since a swich to digital in the future will probably happen to me, I liked the fact that I could use the EOS lens I would of bought for the EOS-1N and I would be able to use them with another newer Canon model if I ever wanted to upgrade to digital. Therefore saving me money. If I'm wrong, correct me.

What is good about manual focus compared to auto focus?

Thanks for all the replies!! :thumbup:

Well, it's the cost of the lenses for the most part, the EF lenses are still in good to high demand whereas the FD manual focus lenses are not.

Ironically I was looking around E-bay when I found these, I know you just said you where leaning towards the EOS's but I'll post the links since I had set them asside anyways.

Canon EF Film Camera Body Only! - eBay (item 140301510515 end time Feb-21-09 10:00:08 PST)

Canon EF SLR 35mm Camera - eBay (item 300294082157 end time Feb-20-09 07:39:00 PST)

I'd bid on them my self but I already own two of them.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd go digital.

My resume: I am a former press photog back in the film only days. I went digital, as a hobbyist, with the introduction of the 20D. I never looked back to film or had any regrets going digital.

If money is a concern, (and to whom isn't it), it is a matter of paying now with a swift swipe of a sword across the midsection with digital or paying later with the death of a thousand cuts every time you purchase and develop film.

A significant and possibly the best way to improve one's photography is by shooting ... then shoot again and again. Digital allows this technique without any financial burden upon the photog.

Digital is faster and cleaner to process. Man, I sure wish I had digital back when I was shooting news. If you have a laptop you can process in the field an option which isn't practical with film.

Gary

Additionally, with the instant feedback of digital one can adjust in the field with confidence

Well, it's the cost of the lenses for the most part, the EF lenses are still in good to high demand whereas the FD manual focus lenses are not.

Ironically I was looking around E-bay when I found these, I know you just said you where leaning towards the EOS's but I'll post the links since I had set them asside anyways.

Canon EF Film Camera Body Only! - eBay (item 140301510515 end time Feb-21-09 10:00:08 PST)

Canon EF SLR 35mm Camera - eBay (item 300294082157 end time Feb-20-09 07:39:00 PST)

I'd bid on them my self but I already own two of them.

Yeah, It's just why spend money on lens that you can't use later in life and you have grown accustomed too? I just want to open up the possibilities if I did get the film camera and not like it, and I already had my lens, I could use my lens on a digital camera. I you see what I mean.

I'd say make the switch to EOS at least, digital would be an even better idea. There are still things that are better about film (though really only when shooting black and white), but if you are investing for the future digital is where you want to put your money.

Seefutlung, I understand, you do have film and digital experience but the world of film photography has changed considerably since the days of film. If money is a concern, the matter of paying now with a swift swipe of a sword across the midsection with digital or paying later with the death of a thousand cuts every time you purchase and develop film, is flawed as it pertains to this particular situation. urufan56 stated that he would like to shoot nature photography and portrait photography with a rugged camera system at or around $300.

Jumping ship from the Canon FD mount to the Canon EF mount in addition to the new body he already seeks is the glass, Now for wildlife, on a crop body digital he is looking at something in the aria of 200mm and for portrait stuff something around 50 to 100mm. A 70-200 would suffice for that, however should he stick to a film body that 70-200 will not work to satisfaction for wildlife, (trust me I tried, was very unhappy). You are looking at a minimum of 300mm. One would be hard pressed to find a 70-200 alone for under $300 let alone the big glass, requiring a long wait period before one of the desired photographic interests is in reach because he still has to get the body first. This brings up durability, I take good care of my cameras but despite that I firmly believe that no consumer level digital SLR would stand up to what I have put my my geat through in the field shooting wild life. Ice, snow, rocks, trees, water it has seen it all, For that kind of wether sealing and shock resistance you are looking at upper mid to high level bodies or additional covers. Switching to digital here one is sacrificing some of the the durability they are looking for. I'm not saying that consumer level cameras can't do it but one will miss shots worrying about how the camera will hold up or wile waiting for repairs. What I am saying is $300 is not going to get what is needed to suit the goals of the OP with modern equipment in one quick slash.

Yeah, It's just why spend money on lens that you can't use later in life and you have grown accustomed too? I just want to open up the possibilities if I did get the film camera and not like it, and I already had my lens, I could use my lens on a digital camera. I you see what I mean.

Well, Two things, the price tags of film equipment is at rock bottom, For the most part you can buy it and use it for some time and unless you screw it up you can sell it again at or near what you paid for it when you move on. Also there is the ever pressent crop bodies, The crop body cuts away part of the frame as it would have been on film effectivly altering the percieved focal leingh of the lens. It will be like getting a whole new lens even if the lens you have grown accustom to is compatable to the digital camera you upgrade to, it will not behave the same way it did on your full frame film body unless you get a full frame digital, but I think the asking price for those is ones first born son. You could find them used for around a grand I think, but that is beside the point.

Additionally, FD-EF Adapters are made, not the most common peice and not perfect but they are available.

In the end the decision as to whether you switch from FD to EF is yours to make, I'm just trying to keep the possibilities as open as I possibly can.

Battou-

I agree with you on every point ... I was hinting/suggesting long term goals. Due to the long lens requirements (as you stated a minimum of 300mm) I don't think that $300 will puts you there, unless you getr lucky on Craig's List.

I have the highest respect for the old mechanical film cameras. My Nikon F's never failed me from the frozen artic to the rain forrests/jungles of the equator to the windy hot deserts ... they worked every time.

That being said ... I have found my entry in digital ... a Canon 20D to be quite rugged also (used 20D start around $300+ so there goes the budget). While it is hard to make a comparison, because now it is but a hobby as oppossed to shooting everyday, but I don't baby the tool and I shoot in a ton of different environments ... somewhat similar to shooting news, just a notch or two below in intensity.

Again ... long term goals ... digital is (IMO of course), far more pleasuable a photographic experience than film and less expensive (if you shoot a lot).

Gary

PS- I have also found that a compromise camera or lens typically will give you an equally compromising result.
G

Most reactions

Back