New find

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I picked up another camera.
This one offers very little information on the web. I've pulled all the info I can find ... anyone here have any additional information on this ?

Ricoh Wide -2.4-
Made in Japan - 1959? (possibly 1960) by Riken Optical Ltd.
Coupled rangefinder
Ricoh-S Kominar lens (Nittō Kōgaku)
Focal length 3.5cm (35mm)
5 elements in four groups
Aperture f/2.4-16
Seikosha-MXL shutter
Speeds B, 1-1/500s
Speed / aperture ring coupling with EV scale
Value ? (no recent auction events found).

Does not appear in McKeown's until after the 10th (which is the one I have) or 11th edition.
Dedicated round metal hood is available, though mine did not come with it.

Last edited:
Neat find!!!! Looks like it has an "EV locking" type of shutter and diaphragm system, as seen by the green numerals from 2 to 16 and the little indicator. I wonder if perhaps they made a dedicated hotshoe lightmeter for that little gem, back in the day?

This sale price/price guide info is old http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Riken/Ricoh-Wide.html

Yeah, that coupling makes it like a Shutter priority auto feature.
Not found any info indicating a dedicated light meter.

I found that link also ... but the last price is 10yrs ago.

This would be a good one to slap up on e-Bay as one of those "RARE! Late 1950's Ricoh Wide 2.4 rangefinder camera! Buy it now $899!" kinda' auctions, ya know? ;-)

Yeah, I wondered about doing that also ... it's one of those camera's I have thoughts of keeping/using. Wide angle rangefinders of this type are not too common, and it is easier to use then our Minolta AutoWide (it feels like a lead weight).

I'm wondering if it might actually be #8 off the line, as in 12 (December 1959?) and 008....

Nice camera. The wide angle fixed lens cameras are few in number and most don't have rangefinders so this one is very nice. It even has a blazing fast 2.4 lens!

Sadly, being in Canada, the shipping costs are extreme ... so someone else will have to grab it.

Most reactions

Back