New From St. Louis MO

freeze3kgt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey hey not from st. louis exactly but around the general area, but just got a cannon 500d for christmas and have been playin with it now for around 1500 shots. and seems like most of my photo's are over exposed :( not sure if its an iso issue or shutter speed, or something else im not too familiar with it soo ... thought i'd try to find a forum and look up some advice and if i couldnt find anything then i'd start askin around :D

i take alot of photo's of my dogs ones a doberman and the other a husky mix and because im not tooo awful familiar with my camera **first dslr and it was on sale during black friday :D yay ** tend to just shoot in the action/sports setting and use a 55/250mm cannon lens with uv filter on it, here is a photo that i kinda like that i have not adusted yet...but when i do i'll just darken it up a bit to get the color i wanted out of it in photoshop(which i suck at horribly)

IMG_0901.jpg

i'd prefer my photo's to look more like this if anyone has any advice that'd be helpful if not, like i mentioned above i'll just search the forums and if i cant find what im looking for i'll ask :D
IMG_0901_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome :)

The main difference between your two shots is that the original (1st) is overexposed. I checked, and looks like you shot in auto mode. I had the same trouble trying to photograph my black cat - it confuses the light meter.

If you switch to P mode (or Av, but in this case you are probably more interested in speed), you can set the things so that the camera underexposes, by pressing (and holding) the +/- button on back of the camera and twirl the spinny thing - those are technical terms, lol).

Hope that helps a bit :)

wow... that actually helps a TON... and thank you for putting it really simply for me... i am being serious too :thumbup:. i did a few diffrent shots like that and i think i'll start shooting in Av more often to get use to the different buttons and settings :hug::

Haha, no problem :)

I remember when I figure that out, it was amazing, lol. My black cat was sitting by a window, and the light was awesome - but the shots I was getting were terrible. So I fiddle with the settings, and it was magic!

Anyways, glad to have helped!

Welcome :)

The main difference between your two shots is that the original (1st) is overexposed. I checked, and looks like you shot in auto mode. I had the same trouble trying to photograph my black cat - it confuses the light meter.

If you switch to P mode (or Av, but in this case you are probably more interested in speed), you can set the things so that the camera underexposes, by pressing (and holding) the +/- button on back of the camera and twirl the spinny thing - those are technical terms, lol).

Hope that helps a bit :)

Love this hehe. Laymans terms to the max.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back