New Gear Syndrome or a real need?

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so I know there's no way you guys can tell whether I NEED something, but here's what's on my mind.

I have some great lenses, and they're now all FX lenses (besides my wide, which is DX) - and I am shooting with a D7100.

Now, I am toying with either getting a faster wide angle (say the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 or the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8).
OR
Upgrading my body to FX to use the lenses as they were designed to be made at the focal lengths they ARE, rather than compromising.

However, I am not sure what body would offer the better upgrade path for me.
The D610/e is now pretty old.
The D800/e is soon to be replaced by the D810 and more expensive. - so it's the D800e which seems the right choice in this bunch.
The D4/s is just too much to spend.

What are your thoughts? Lens or D800e?

I know either way I go, later on, I'm going to want the other, too!

Can you afford it? If so, go for it. If you have to go into debt to get, don't.

I can afford it - but curious whether people think I should go lens or body, and whether the D800e is the right step up from the D7100

Based on those parameters, I'd vote for the body; the D800 is a great piece of kit, and you can still use your DX lens with it until you get around to replacing it...

I can afford it - but curious whether people think I should go lens or body, and whether the D800e is the right step up from the D7100

Skip the d800e, get the d800. I am not a huge fan of 2.8 UWA lenses, i don't see the point.

OK, so I know there's no way you guys can tell whether I NEED something, but here's what's on my mind.

I have some great lenses, and they're now all FX lenses (besides my wide, which is DX) - and I am shooting with a D7100.

Now, I am toying with either getting a faster wide angle (say the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 or the Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8).
OR
Upgrading my body to FX to use the lenses as they were designed to be made at the focal lengths they ARE, rather than compromising.

However, I am not sure what body would offer the better upgrade path for me.
The D610/e is now pretty old.
The D800/e is soon to be replaced by the D810 and more expensive. - so it's the D800e which seems the right choice in this bunch.
The D4/s is just too much to spend.

What are your thoughts? Lens or D800e?

I know either way I go, later on, I'm going to want the other, too!

My thoughts? The D7100 is a great camera, so if it were me I'd wait till the D800 replacement comes out, and buy a D800 when the used market gets flooded by the folks rushing to upgrade. Price drop extrodinare. If you can afford to wait, and it sounds like you can, I think honestly that's your best bet.

When I only had my d7000 and my FX lenses .. I wanted to go wider. So I was looking at hte normal wide angle lenses. But I really wanted a particular Nikon wide angle. That Nikon UWA was nearly as much as the refurb'd d600 FF that I bought instead.

So I bought a FF camera instead of a lens. I look back .. and I absolutely love that move that I made.
Since then I also added a 18-35/4.5-5.6 lens and I've been enjoying it ever since.

I still have the d7000 and use it from time to time. But the FF camera is my main camera with the UWA.

Y'know what - I'm actually thinking that the D610 may be the way to go now.
Just because it's not as expensive as the D800, and it's the same spec(ish) to the D7100 only FX which is the only thing I wanted different!

It seems you don't get it.

The compromise (FoV/crop factor) is the image sensor size, not the lens.

Using an FX lens on a DX camera pretty much eliminates such FX sensor issues that can result with some FX lenses like soft focus in the corners or vignetting (light fall off).

the D610 is pretty old?!

Are you looking to shoot wider?

Y'know what - I'm actually thinking that the D610 may be the way to go now.
Just because it's not as expensive as the D800, and it's the same spec(ish) to the D7100 only FX which is the only thing I wanted different!

skip the 610, the D800 is a camera you won't have to worry about upgrading for the next 5 years.

Hmmmm. Until YOU know exactly what you want, you probably should not buy anything. Your lenses are 1st class and unless you are running into situations your lenses won't handle, you would just be buying a lens that would get little use. On the body end of the question I think the D800E will give you significantly higher IQ and high ISO performance with your present lenses. None of this really matters since we are not professionals. If you are like me and most of us on this forum, photography is a passionate hobby that we do for the love of it. I think that a d800 or d800e body would give you greater enjoyment.

Well, I wouldn't recommend either of those lenses... I have the Nikon 14-24 and it's really a pretty limited specialty lens. It loves to flare which sucks when you don't want flare. And filters are another expensive specialty situation w/ it. I *also* have the 16-35 for those reasons and I'll probably be offing the 14-24...

As for the camera, you didn't really say for what purpose... IMHO, if you are not into tripods, long exposures, printing large, etc., then a D700/D3(s) would probably make more sense than one of the high MP cameras.

I can't help you with whether this is a 'real need' or not without having at least a faint whiff of what it is you're attempting to do.

If the goal is to prevent doors from closing, what you need is a brick.

It sounds like you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket, and are itching to buy a toy. In that case, it doesn't matter. Buy the toy that makes you happiest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back