New Girl needs help with fashion photography on a tight budget? :)

Ainaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a fashion website at ainaafashion.co.uk and I need some tips on fashion photography I have a couple of questions listed below,

1. What would be the best way to photograph clothes?

2. What type of dummy do you recommend for loose fitted clothes?

3. Do you have any tips?

At the moment I am using a Canon 450D and the standard bundled lens. I am not very good with cameras so try to go easy with the instructions :).

Regards

3. Do you have any tips?

Sure I do, learn photography. Seems to me you are putting the carriage before the horses and that's not going to work. Horses pull, they don't push the carriage.

Thanks for the encouragement Cloud Walker but I always thought that the best way to learn is asking questions.

Definitely do a search about Fashion Photography online as their always helpful.

What I would concentrate the most is to capture the details on the clothes more than the models. Also the composition is important as well.

Asking questions is not the best way to learn. No doubt, asking questions is required when you need clarification of a concept, but a question like "1. What would be the best way to photograph clothes?" is so broad it would require an entire book to answer, because there is no 1 'best' to photograph all clothes.

What would be best in any given scenario will depend on the type of clothes, the look you want to attain, and what photography tools you have available to use.

You will need to understand most of the information in this group of tutorials - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Plus, most of what is in this book: Light: Science and Magic - Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think clothes look best when photographed on models; real, live, actual people...so I think having people model the clothes is the best way to photograph them.

My college roommate wanted to become a fashion photographer, and he eventually did, and then he died in his 30's from stomach cancer. Anyway...he had photo shoots every night of every week, sometimes even two shoots a day on weekends. Once a month he would spend two straight days in the darkroom making prints. He had already spent much free time studying his contact sheets and reviewing his efforts, so he knew which shots he wanted to print. He spent a LOT of time perfecting his craft, and his artistry. He was CONSTANTLY working on his skills. He lived and breathed fashion.

Today, in the digital world, you do not need to spend 1.5 hours before you can see a single image, or four hours to get chromes back from the lab; you can see your shots within seconds. You can make digital inkjet prints--in full daylight! Decide what you wish to do, and then take the steps necessary to get it done.

Most reactions

Back