New Guy from Kentucky

mfdrookie516

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys. Just thought I'd post a quick intro, since it's the 'cool' thing to do. I am just getting in to photography, after growing up with parents who owned a small photography business. I'm lucky to have a 'mentor' of sorts (my father) to guide me in the right direction. I just ordered my first DSLR, after only having a little Fuji P&S until this point. I was originally going to go with a 60D, but because I'm just starting out, and because of the price difference, I decided to go with the T3i. I also ordered a Tamron 28-75mm and a Canon 100mm macro lens.

There are 3 things that really have my interest at this point. Macro, sunrise/sunset, and nature. I know it's kind of a wide range, but isn't photography supposed to be fun? Since it's winter here, and everything is dead, it'll be a couple months before I can really do anything outdoors. I can, however, practice with shots in my house. My only real hobby up until this point has been aquariums. This is something that has always fascinated me. What better than to practice one hobby on the results of another?

Anyhoo, I'm sure you'll be seeing me around some, posting pictures for tips and criticism. Glad to have found a forum that seems to have some great advice floating around.

Hi and welcome :)

Hey Lexington...I was just there the other day!!

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome aboard

Since it's winter here, and everything is dead, it'll be a couple months before I can really do anything outdoors.
You won't get far with that attitude. There are plenty of great things to shoot in any season, you just have to get out there and discover them.
And be thankful that you're in KY, up where I live, it's often so cold in the winter, that the camera's batteries stop working in 30-60 minutes.

Welcome! I agree with Mike don't count out the outdoors just because it is winter. I am about an hour north of you up 27 in Cold Spring, KY.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Hey Lexington...I was just there the other day!!

Welcome to the forum!

Cool! You're not terribly far from some of my family. My wifes grandparents live in Pikeville, and my dad's family is from a teeny tiny little town called Weeksbury (most people have at least heard of Wheelwright which is close-ish). Was in Huntington back in late summer, took my 2 year old to Camden Park since it's kind of a family tradition (dad went, I went, now my son has been).

Welcome aboard

Since it's winter here, and everything is dead, it'll be a couple months before I can really do anything outdoors.
You won't get far with that attitude. There are plenty of great things to shoot in any season, you just have to get out there and discover them.
And be thankful that you're in KY, up where I live, it's often so cold in the winter, that the camera's batteries stop working in 30-60 minutes.

I get what you mean. Perhaps I should have worded it differently. The things I most look forward to photographing won't be available until spring. Bugs, flowers, trees full of leaves, etc. You may have inspired me to try out some pictures of winter (minus the snow). Definitely not jealous of your weather. It has been a VERY warm winter here in Ky.

Welcome! I agree with Mike don't count out the outdoors just because it is winter. I am about an hour north of you up 27 in Cold Spring, KY.

That's up towards Cinci... I'll be headed up there this fall to take my son to the zoo. Might hit you up for some good areas to shoot.

Most reactions

Back