new guy here. Just some questions.

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I have had a "regular" digital camera for a few years, and have been quite interested in an SLR. I already know I'm getting the Nikon D40, for it would be a waste for me to spend anything more than the price of that one. I want to be able to get good wildlife photos, and landscapes, storms, or whatever I see that I think looks cool I suppose, no limit right! I do not plan on becoming a professional or anything, I'm going to school for psychology and just enjoy different photos and paintings, and think it would be fun to capture some of my own.
Do you guys have any tips on taking photos, I mean I know how to take pictures, but how to capture some really great photos? for instance: Location, different objects to take(some ideas), and what I can ultimately do with my photos I take. Thanks alot guys/girls.

Hello. I have had a "regular" digital camera for a few years, and have been quite interested in an SLR. I already know I'm getting the Nikon D40, for it would be a waste for me to spend anything more than the price of that one. I want to be able to get good wildlife photos, and landscapes, storms, or whatever I see that I think looks cool I suppose, no limit right! I do not plan on becoming a professional or anything, I'm going to school for psychology and just enjoy different photos and paintings, and think it would be fun to capture some of my own.
Do you guys have any tips on taking photos, I mean I know how to take pictures, but how to capture some really great photos? for instance: Location, different objects to take(some ideas), and what I can ultimately do with my photos I take. Thanks alot guys/girls.

As for your Nikon D40 and what you are hoping to accomplish. An SLR camera is a step in the right direction. However, Good wildlife photos, and landscapes, storms, or whatever you see that you think looks cool all require different lenses to really achieve with any quality, no one lens can do it all.

For instance you will likely want something 300mm or bigger and/or teleconverters for wildlife.

Landscapes are often best shot with much shorter wide angle lenses 17mm, 28mm, 35mm and so on

And for general snaps of stuff that is cool nothing beats a good 50mm prime

alright thanks alot. Anyone else? As for the different lenses, someday I would like to get a variety of them, but right now I think the "stock" lense will suite fine, because I'm not trying to send the photos in for recognition or anything. I don't know, I guess I'll see how I like hte stock lense first. Thanks alot

Well the one tip I would give to get good quality landscape photos, is to use a good tripod for as many of your pictures as possible. Observe the rule of thirds...most important have fun with it.

exactly, that is what I want to do, have fun with this, buy an affordable camera and just try to get some cool pictures on the side, not full time photography or anything. There are so many times where I'm like "Dam I wish I had my camera!" The other day I walked around the corner of my apartment building and there was a fox about 30 feet away. Let me add that I live off a highway, although there are alot of woods and farmland around, you don't expect to see a fox there. If only I wouldv'e gotten a picture. Do you guys/girls bring your camera with you, at least in your car, everywhere you go? It seems like the best thing to do, because you never know where you can stop and capture something truly amazing.

Most reactions

Back