New guy over here!

nthomas33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there PhotoForum, I'm new here, and pretty new to photography, but I figured I've been at it a couple months, its about time I join a photography community. A little about myself, I've always been intrigued with photography, but never had a good camera, or knew the techniques to get started. Last year my girlfriend got me a Fujifilm Finepix s1800, which was a pretty good starter camera, and I dabbled a bit, until I finally had an open slot in my schedule to take a digital photography class, which really got me into it. This past christmas my girlfriend found a brand new Canon EOS Rebel XS, which I love. I know it's an older model, but it suits me just fine. So far I haven't had the cash to get any lenses, so I've been using the standard 18-55mm lens. The only other equipment I have is an old, rinky-dink tripod, UV filter, and a tiny Wal-Mart Sampsonite bag that barely fits the camera. Well, since this is a photo gallery, here's a kind of a collage of some of my shots I've done so far (I grouped them the best I could):
DSCF2299-1.jpg

DSCF2316-1.jpg

Said girlfriend:
Mollycloseuptouchup.jpg

MollyCloseup.jpg

TrainCockpit.jpg

Steamroller.jpg

NightBridgeCenter.jpg

Riverwalk.jpg

RedDoor.jpg

AnchorGlass2.jpg

StarofBethlemhem2.jpg

StarofBethlemhem1.jpg

I'm open to any type of criticism, too. If it sucks, tell me, just so I can take the shot better next time. I know a few of them are a bit centered, a bad habit I'm trying to break.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
I like 1 2 & 7! I think 1 & 2 would be really great with some editing just making it a little bit brighter and 7 the only thing I didn't like is at first glance I couldn't figure out what was going on with the power lines I didn't know what they were so maybe getting rid of those. I'm new to photography as well so I probably don't know what I'm talking about lol but yeah, Welcome!

Too many images for first post. Post 2-3 for best critique.

NUMBER YOUR IMAGES!

Only one of any substance is #9 (I think it's 9, its the door picture.....), all others have nothing that grabs my attention besides the mistakes.

Too many images for first post. Post 2-3 for best critique.

NUMBER YOUR IMAGES!

Only one of any substance is #9 (I think it's 9, its the door picture.....), all others have nothing that grabs my attention besides the mistakes.

^This.

It would be easier to give detailed critique with numbers and fewer photos. As a general statement, it looks like you're having some issues with proper exposure.

Also, the first photo of your girlfriend is not flattering in any way. The photo below is much better, but it would be nice to see more face.

I too like the one of the door. The colors look nice, and it's got some balance.

I really like the train pic, I think the colors might be better served by decreasing the luminance sliders slightly

Welcome! Number your pictures, and post maybe 3-4 per thread for a good evaluation. I like number 1, except that bush blocking part of that structure.

Went back and number them for you guys, sorry about that haha, thanks for the feedback guys!

Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back