New guy questions...Looking to buy.

Matt D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm of course looking to buy a camera. Price range of around $600.

I'm looking to get something for time lapse photography. My new camcorder is leaving me with huge AVCHD files that take too long to shrink down into a good time lapse clip. I would also like to have a camera that has the HD video option.

So here are 3 questions. And for conversation I'll use the Pentax K-x for an example since I think I can get it for around $500.

-I would want to be able to set the camera up to shoot a photo every 2, 5, 10 seconds. Anybody have the K-x and know you can do this? I'm thinking anything new would be able to.

-From what I read about the K-x it sounds like it can get 1900 shots from one charge of the batteries. I was also looking at the Nikon D5000 but then I read it would only get 500 shots per charge. I would be happy with over 1500. Can anybody give me a good idea of if this is correct?

-I'd like the option of HD Video recording. I read that the K-x will record 680 minutes of 720p video. My question is if there is a limit on how long you can record for. I've heard of some cameras only being able to record 10 minutes at a time.

I'm just having a hard time finding these little details on the product website.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

You need an external or built-in intervalometer.

I'm pretty sure with Nikon you won't get built-in till you get up to a D300s, $1700 body only.

I don't think there are many (if any) $500-$600 dSLR cameras that have a port that will accept an external intervalometer.

I confirmed for the D5000 Nikon only specs:
Battery Life (shots per charge)
510 shots (CIPA)

I think CIPA = Camera & Imaging Products Association

The Japanese industry association's CIPA ratings normally specify that the shots per-charge number includes 50% of the frames made using the camera's built-in pop-up flash unit...and as you might imagine, a pop-up flash is quite a battery hog compared with a shutter. Most of the smaller Nikon cameras have very capable lithium-ion batteries which can often make 1,500 to 2,400 shots when the flash is not used, and can hold their charge for long periods, like two months. Nikon's various product sheets have pretty good, reliable battery capability specifications for each camera model.

I would look at external intervalometer/triggering remotes on the web/eBay.

Thanks for the info.

That's not what I wanted to hear but now I know what to look for.

Most reactions

Back