New guy Wondering if the enlarger I have listed here is a good one?

Schubacabra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[h=2]I was wondering if this is a good enlarger. I'm new to this and don't have an enlarger at all at the moment so is this a good enlarger/deal?

BESELER 67CS2 CONDENSER ENLARGER-DARK ROOM EQP. - $150[/h]
Date: 2012-12-18, 11:39AM EST

Beseler 67cs2 condenser enlarger with reversable column-print up to 11x14 on baseboard
reverse column make print as large as you want by using floor.6x7,6x6,6x4.5 or 35mm. film.
includes 50mm. lens,lensboard,below lens filter holder,red filter,negative carrier,two metal
easels 8x10 11x14,4x5 combi developing tank,five trays,time o light timer,loupe,tongs,
squegee,etc. New condition.

Seems like you will be getting just about everything you need except actual chemicals and, of course, instructions. All the little items, if bought individually would add up to a fair amount ( I spent $40 on just a negative carrier for 6x4.5 negs) so the price is not too bad. I have a Beseler 23CII enlarger that I've had for many years and it's quite good; but I don't know anything about the 67C2 model. I think it may have been designed for color enlarging primarily; but I could be wrong. You can learn the basics and make decent prints with it. If you discover that you need something better later on you can always pick up another enlarger on ebay, You'll already have everything else you need.
good luck,.

This enlarger is not a high end product, and yet not a beginner hobby tool either, but not much better,

I would offer 100, as these days enlargers are still still found sitting on a curb that are worth a lot more money.

I agree with Ann; this is really just a step up from entry-level and I see at least two GOOD enlargers on local Craig's List & other used gear 'sites each week. DON'T jump at the first thing that comes along!

I scored the Beseler 23cII XL for free! I'm on my way. :wink:

I was wondering if you got any other necessary items with the free enlarger. If not, you need to keep an eye out for tanks, trays, timers, easels, etc.. all the stuff that was going to come with the other enlarger.

You should be able to find all that other stuff for less than $100 if you watch ebay, and other sites.

In fact I may have a lot of stuff at the lab . When you find out just what else you need and if interested pm a note and I will see what I can put together for you.

Since I am in Atlanta, shipping shouldn't be outrageous (famous last words :) )

Align it (either with the controls it provides, or by improvising if it has no alignment controls) and put a good lens on it (which should cost like $25) and it'll be as good as any other enlarger in the world.

Enlargers are simple things, there just isn't a whole lot going on there. Good ones are more rigid and so on, and have more even light, and can light a larger negative evenly. For 35mm film, though, they're pretty darn near all equal. Some are easier to use than others, but you can produce outstanding work with darn near anything.

Align it (either with the controls it provides, or by improvising if it has no alignment controls) and put a good lens on it (which should cost like $25) and it'll be as good as any other enlarger in the world.

Enlargers are simple things, there just isn't a whole lot going on there. Good ones are more rigid and so on, and have more even light, and can light a larger negative evenly. For 35mm film, though, they're pretty darn near all equal. Some are easier to use than others, but you can produce outstanding work with darn near anything.

I agree with amolitor. I had an CII XL and it was a good, heavy, solid, enlarger with smooth accurate movements...for B&W processing anyway.

You should be able to find all that other stuff for less than $100 if you watch ebay, and other sites.

In fact I may have a lot of stuff at the lab . When you find out just what else you need and if interested pm a note and I will see what I can put together for you.

Since I am in Atlanta, shipping shouldn't be outrageous (famous last words :) )

Thanks Ann I might take you up on that. I'm headed to Atlanta in a few weeks for Scott Antique markets show. I'm doing as many vintage items as possible to kind of set my darkroom apart and I'm into that kind of stuff so I'm getting a lot of that on ebay and etsy. Check out my other thread to see my work in progress. I'm going to document turning my closet into a darkroom as well as show the vintage items I'm going to use in it.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-i-m-noob-so-could-all-go-horribly-wrong.html

What would you recommend for a lens? I don't mind spending a little money on it since I didn't have to shell out anything for the enlarger.

nikkor, or schenider 6 elements are farily standard types. 50mm 2.8 for 34mm film. Did it come with a lens board? If not, those are not that expensive.

Most reactions

Back