New guy's first attempt at hdr

tripwater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I saw this truck this morning while I was driving around looking for things to shoot. I got really lucky because the sun was rising and front lighting this scene and there were dark storm clouds in the background.

I was not sure if I should post this in the hdr section of this forum since I am new or just post in here since I am a beginner photographer. Either way I am excited and the possibilities!

transportation - timkelley's Photos

Nice work; the HDR aspect is a bit exagerated for my taste, but it does give an interesting effect to the image.

Yeah I went back and forth as to whether to go natural or a bit surreal with it. Once I started tweaking things I decided to just go for a cool surreal yet not too cartoony look. I have seen some that look like a neon or chalk drawing and I did not want to go that far with it.

I have a few other angles that I am going to work with of this truck and try them in fdrtools instead of Photomatix to get my feet wet with that app. It does more detail and contrast adjustments than the surreal stuff.

Thanks for the comments.

I took the same 3 exposures and loaded them into fdrtools. I know I said I was going to go for realistic next, but this is just too much fun! :D

Check out the contrasting styles
transportation - timkelley's Photos

Great subject but you went to heavy on the tone mapping. The best HDRs are the images that dont look HDR.

Great subject but you went to heavy on the tone mapping. The best HDRs are the images that dont look HDR.

Thanks. And although I appreciate your comment I have to disagree. It is all based off of personal taste. Not what is BEST! Like tirediron said it's a bit much for his taste but he never said what is best when it comes to artistic vision. That is a bit much. And in my defense I did state above that I was enjoying the surreal side of HDR in this endeavor.

Artistically, any limitation on art degrades the art itself. There are film photographers out there that are hardcore old school about using an old 35mm camera and a darkroom and would say that any good photographer is one that uses real film and not digital. I have books and links to a dozen web sites of HDR photographers that are considered the top of the crop and they have MANY photos that 'look HDR' by your statement. There is the HDR realistic, focused on more contrast and detail and there are those that use the detail enhancer provided by Photomatix...if you disagree then that is your opinion but there are hundreds if not thousands of incredible hdr artwork using a slightly if not over the top surreal effect.

Browse around these galleries and open your mind
HDR tone mapped or exposure blended photos from Photomatix users

As each new technology/art comes about you have those that want to tame it and put limitations on its potential based off their own experience or limitations.

As an artist I know that pushing boundaries is all that interests me. I do appreciate you response but again any limitations on art or any boundaries set on art irritates me. I know there are rules but some of the best things in music, painting, photography has come from someone breaking the rules and trying something different.

Off the podium. And so it goes...

Have a good night folks and thanks for looking at my stuff! :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back