New here, and loving it.

MAV90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I've been watching this forum for a while now and finally decided to register and get some of my own questions and answers. I'm apart of many forums and I'd have to say, none of them are as informational or helpful as this one right here. The group of guys photographers on here that are willing to help and critique is just awesome and I've learned a lot, and I thank you all for that.

I've been into photography for a while, but just started actually taking attempting it about a year and just getting done with my first photography class at my university, taught by Jack Rogers, an awesome professor and phenomenal photographer. The class is a nature photography class, at first I wasn't to crazy about nature photography, but I was willing to do anything photography no matter what it was. I learned to love it, but I think I'd like to try something else although I will continue to shoot nature.

I bought a d5000 for my first DSLR camera, I think it's a great camera, very user friendly and was awesome to learn on, but the compatibility with non AF-S lenses is killing me. I've been looking into a new camera, one I won't have to worry about swapping out for a new one for a while. I'm leaning towards the D90, what do you guys think? Try and get rid or trade my d5000 and invest in a higher quality camera, or stick with the d5000? Being a college student money is some what tight, so buying strictly first level lenses is somewhat difficult. Yes I know they are the best to shoot with, but I've read about plenty of photographers being happy and producing very articulated shots with second level lenses like sigma or tamron.

Right now I'm using mostly my 55-200 mm nikkor, and I couldn't have you read all that with out throwing some pictures in, so here are some photos I've snapped, comment as you like:

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0578.jpg

Thanks again guys. -Marco

I love owls. Thanks for sharing these. #1 is my favorite.

These are outstanding. Is #2 a hawk? Wildlife is extremely hard to photograph - and I can barely get results like this at a zoo...

Welcome to the forums, nice first post.

Looks like you are doing well with what ya got. But to answer your question, I would upgrade to the D90. I was in the same boat as you a month or so ago- had a D40, liked it a lot, but wanted a little more flexibility in lenses and off camera flash. I decided on a D90 and haven't looked back since. It is so much more "manual user" friendly than the D40, I am assuming the D5000 is setup the same where you need to enter into menus to change certain settings.

From what you posted, #1 is my favorite too... although it looks like he is leaning a bit to the right- if it were me, I would rotate it until he was razor straight removing that ever so slight distraction. The other photos are good too.

p!nK

Mav
Nice shots. Did you take these shots during your nature photography class?

How fortunate you were to see these guys... let alone get such beautiful pics.. my whole life i only saw one owl... he was getting out of the weather and perched on my log home log..underneath porch.. he stayed for a day .. i got a few pics but they are just snaps.. you have natural nature pics.. beautiful.. i have the nikon d5000.. i am just learning to use DSLR..you look like your ready to advance

Nice shots!

As a father of a son in college ... use the d5000 until you get out. Learn more about photography and don't waste you money on a "new" camera body - you're supposed to be studing anyway!! :lol:. When you get out, newer camera bodies will be around (D90 is a few years old) and who knows what will be available. The D90 can accept non motorized lenses but it seems that motorized lenses may be the wave of the future and when you get out you can get whatever is "the greatest" then.

Just my opinion.

Welcome! Great photos. #3 is my favorite!

More to come I hope.

These are nice. Where was this?

You have effectively spooked me, though. Owls look like aliens and now I won't be able to sleep.

Bitter Jewler: I too love owl's, possibly my favorite birds. You're welcome, thank you for sharing your comments, very appreciated.

reznap: Yes, #2 is indeed a hawk, I believe it is a Red Shoulder Hawk. Funny you made the comment about the zoo, for I just went yesterday to Central Florida zoo and 'attempted' to take some shots, but no luck at all. They opened too late very, very harsh lighting conditions, everything was pretty confined and caged off. Shooting through a chain link fence doesn't make the best photo lol. But I hear if you go to some pretty "big" named zoo's you get some very nice shots.

mrpink: Thank you I think I may do the D90 upgrade, the more and more I read, the more and more I'm looking forward to getting one. Yes, you are correct about what you can control in full manual with the d5000. In full manual you can pretty much only control shutter speed, and aperture. Everything else like ISO and exposure etc. you have to go into the menu, which isn't difficult just spends that much more time on which you may not have. Which would be fine if you were looking to use pre set settings and not manual, this camera was awesome to learn on!

As for picture #1 I agree I had many shots of this bird, I didn't really notice that the bird wasn't perfectly straight, good catch. I do have one where he is leaned over quite a bit almost like he trying to look around something, it was really nice, just liked this one a little bit more. Thanks!

pbelarge: Thank you, and yes I did take these during my class.

Photolady: Thank you, I've learned that nature photographers have a lot a lot a lot of patience... and luck lol. The d5000 is a wonderful camera enjoy it!

Vinny: I can understand what you're saying, but me being a freshmen, I might not be getting out for quite some time haha. I wouldn't be getting a new camera until I found a way to sell the one I have now or find a decent trade deal, for the cost of one lens I'd have to buy for the d5000 I could just about buy the D90 body. You're opinion is always welcome thanks! OH... and what is this studying you speak of ?!?! :lmao:

cnutco: Thank you, #3 was also my favorite. The bird was no bigger than the palm of my hand. Will have more as soon as possible!

aliciaqw: Thank you, these were actually taken at a bird refugee for injured raptors. A lot of them had quite a few sad stories.

Thank you all for the welcome! - Marco

On another note. Would any one like to help me and point me out in the right direction when it comes to lenses?

I am looking to take Macro on for try, any nikon users have any recommendations? Maybe a lens that can serve two purposes like macro/portraits ? Could those fall in the same category? I was looking at the tamron 90 mm.

Also, what would be a good lens just to carry and have, more like a zoom lens?

Thanks, - Marco

I'm not a nikon user.. however, i have the Tamron 90mm SP/ 2.8.. i love it.. its the best portrait lens in my arsenal.. and i feel its the perfect focal length for insects/and other super close up stuff, you dont scare them away as much since you're a bit farther away compared to a 60mm or other macro

Most reactions

Back