New here and need help with night time photography

triga22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am brand new here and brand new to the photography world. I recently bought my first digital camera! I know crazy huh? I have always used my cell phone to take pictures. However I bought a "decent" camera for one reason... Vacation photos, more specifically night time firework photos.
Here is the story. My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Disney this winter, but she doesn't know that I am proposing to her, during the holiday fireworks show! Im very excited and have some time to plan everything out, I already have a lot down pat. The only thing I know little about is how to get the best picture. My brother will be there, she wont know, to take pictures of the engagement. I would like to know if it would be best to use manual modes, that I could possibly set up ahead of time, or if simply a night time auto picture mode would be sufficient.
The camera I have is a Nikon Coolpix l820. https://www.google.com/#q=nikon+coolpix+l820
The plan is during the fireworks towards the end when they do surrounding fireworks, I will pop the question, and the pictures will begin. We will be further away, so possibly the fireworks wouldn't be as bright if that helps at all.
Here is a video from where the proposal will happen. If you skip to 4:32 that is when the pictures will be taken. They will be of us, a couple, in a dark rooftop with a sky as the backdrop and obviously bright fireworks.

This isnt exactly what we are doing, they did theirs on the beach of a resort, but something very similar. He mentions that he wishes his pictures looked better, but honestly If I got something that good I would be happy.
Disney World Proposal & Engagement - Disney Tourist Blog
Sorry for all of the talking! Thanks for your help!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for that, but how does that affect taking pictures of people. I would think if the shutter was left open too long that the motion of the people in the picture would be distorted. Is there a way to compromise to get an okay firework shot and a good person shot. Like I mentioned the people in the picture will be in the dark, so the flash would have to be on, yet the fireworks would be going off behind them. If you scroll to the bottom of the page in the last link I posted there are example pictures of someone who tried something similar. thanks again

Most reactions

New Topics

Back