New here and Needing help!

Dixielanddelight74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am so thankful that I found this forum! Maybe I can learn alot here. I just got a Canon Rebel t5i for Christmas. It has 18-55mm, 55-250mm and 50mm lens. I am having major issues getting the moon bigger in the actual picture. I am using the 55-250mm lens and zooming all the way in. I then use the button to zoom it in even more and it looks really big but when the picture is taken its small :( Any help on why this is? I am attaching a picture of what I took. I am wanting it to show the craters and all that other cool stuff.

Thanks!

$IMG_1455.JPG

Hi.

The t5i is a cool camera. It is also a crop frame with a 1.6x magnification. Hence with the 250mm lens, it's effective max focal length is 400mm. That wouldn't really fill your frame unfortunately. And you will still end up with a rather smallish moon.

Option 1
Get a 2x tele converter. That will double your focal length. That'll help. But take note, your smallest aperture will be reduced. Meaning that your min aperature will change from 4-5.6 to 8-11.2.

Option 2
The t5i is an 18mp camera. You can easily afford to crop the image and make it larger and focus on the craters without any issue at all. No need to worry about the loss in image quality.

I'd go with option 2.

Hope this helps.

Not sure what you mean by Cropping the image as I am still new to all of this..LOL Im already in debt w/this camera so cant afford anything else right now w/it and sounds like Option 2 will work.

Haha. Got it.

Well what I meant was to use a photo editing software such as photoshop/gimp/ to cut out the moon and zoom in to make it fill the frame. Since your camera captures images in 18 megapixels, it should not really result in a huge loss in quality.

Remember you said you use the "zoom" button and then moon looks big? I'm guessing when you are reviewing the photo on your camera you pressed the magnifying glass button. That's pretty much what I am suggesting you do, but this time do it in a image editing software.

You should then be able to see some craters.

ohok, got ya...I am playing around w/Lightroom on the trial version and trying to learn to edit the photos to...So much to learn and my head is swimming..LOL I am thankful I just found this forum cause maybe I can learn alot. Thank you so much for your help :)

No problem. Hope my suggestion actually helps. Cheers and all the best.

$moon 12.jpg
Here is what I did to edit it up closer. Dunno what I could have done to make it better

Last edited:
Also... that button you were talking about... it has no effect on the picture. It allows you to look closer to adjust focus etc... but has nothing to do with the actual picture. You can only zoom as far as your lens will allow. You then have to crop in post.

The first thing you should do is read the whole manual for your camera and the lenses. Front to back... no excuses. It will save you a lot of time and headache later.

The 55-250 mm lens is a consumer grade kit lens and as such gives up some image sharpness to keep the cost down.

Also to make a photo of the Moon requires looking through all of Earth's thickness of atmosphere and all that atmosphere is moving, which also degrades the sharpness of a photo.
Putting major telescopes up on high mountains helps minimize how much atmosphere those telescopes have to look through.

As far as moon size in an uncropped image frame relative to lens focal length - this may help:

MoonsFocalLength.jpg

Most reactions

Back