New here from CT

st0neski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Whats up peoples?? Just found this forum while looking for a new camera. I am currently looking for a Digital Rebel to purchase sometime in the near future. I have one questions about it though. Do you guys feel that getting the kit with the lense is worth it, or should I just buy the body and get a different lense kit?

Right now I have a canon S2, i like it, but I want a DSLR. I have not taken any professional photos with the S2, just random pictures here and there, here are some of my random pictures:

puffhead.jpg

48.jpg

56.jpg

80.jpg

89.jpg

109.jpg

112.jpg

172.jpg

185.jpg

287.jpg

297.jpg

storm.jpg

back.jpg

beach.jpg

tree.jpg

greenig.jpg

chomp1.jpg

chomp2.jpg

Your closeups are really nice! Like the squirrels are very good. Be careful of your landscapes, your horizons are way off. This can be fixed in photoshop, but better to just be aware of your horizons and keep them level.

Now, I have the kit lens with the XTi - you'll do well with it and I recommend it. However, as an additional "cheap" lens I purchased is the nifty fifty (50 mm 1.8 II). It is an incredible lens for under $100. Purchase that along with the kit lens and you'll be set.

Hope this helps!

Your closeups are really nice! Like the squirrels are very good. Be careful of your landscapes, your horizons are way off. This can be fixed in photoshop, but better to just be aware of your horizons and keep them level.

Now, I have the kit lens with the XTi - you'll do well with it and I recommend it. However, as an additional "cheap" lens I purchased is the nifty fifty (50 mm 1.8 II). It is an incredible lens for under $100. Purchase that along with the kit lens and you'll be set.

Hope this helps!

:thumbup: Thanks. Can you explain more about the horizons and landscapes? Or point me to a thread that might have more info? I appreciate the help.

Thats for the info the kit too :mrgreen:

Ok, I took one of your photos and fixed the horizon. See how much more level it is? Strive to always get the horizon straight when you are shooting; however, here it is in post.

Bring the photo into photoshop and click on the eye dropper icon until the rollout menu appears and select the measure tool

Now simply click on the horizon and drag along it (use your horizon, not what it should be), then click again to set the line. Then go to the rotate canvas under image and click on arbitrary. Just click ok!
The image is rotated so the horizon is now leveled. Now you just need to crop!

Select the crop tool in the toolbar
Drag a selection on the photo and adjust using the handles so you have the layout the way you want. Press enter and you have a brand new photo with a perfect horizon!

storm_horizonfix.jpg

Ok, I took one of your photos and fixed the horizon. See how much more level it is? Strive to always get the horizon straight when you are shooting; however, here it is in post.

Bring the photo into photoshop and click on the eye dropper icon until the rollout menu appears and select the measure tool

Now simply click on the horizon and drag along it (use your horizon, not what it should be), then click again to set the line. Then go to the rotate canvas under image and click on arbitrary. Just click ok!
The image is rotated so the horizon is now leveled. Now you just need to crop!

Select the crop tool in the toolbar
Drag a selection on the photo and adjust using the handles so you have the layout the way you want. Press enter and you have a brand new photo with a perfect horizon!

:hail::hail: Thanks for that little lesson, never knew that could make such a difference. :thumbup:

#1-The lizard. Nice shot, but the DOF should have been slightly deeper to include his left front leg in focus.
#2-Too friggin' cute, but maybe crop and adjust levels.
#3,4&5- OK, Ill give you #4 - too damn cute
#6 - The "anchor" is distracting
#7-Nice shot, however, perhaps a shallower DOF to blur the background further. The relecting light on the left wing is a little distracting.
#8&9-Geese - Canadian no less. (just kidding guys)
#10-Turtle - boring. Wait until his legs and head do something.
#11........

Sorry, I can't go on. There's much too much. Just as a thought for next time. Number your photos, put a space between your photos to separate them and limit you photos to a certain theme.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back