New here! Had some questions.

Maexus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sup all. I have been into photography for about 4-5 years. Here lately, digital because I don't have the facilities to develop my own film. Anyways, I had some questions.

How do I add contrast to my shots without digital editting or dark room editing. I find I have to up the contast to my taste to get black blacks and solid whites. I use photoshop for this but I would like to do this in camera. Advice?

Also, I hate using photoshop for my photos. For me it takes away from the art. Lets say you photoshop out a light pole, adjust contrast, increase/decrease saturation. Do you consider this cheating?

I look foward to your input!

I'd say try using various filters to get the blacks and whites that you want...and as far as your photoshop question you will probably get flogged for asking it, j/k but it's been disussed time and time again, so you might just search around and find some of the old battles over the topic ;)

Welcome to the forum by the way!!!

Maexus said:
...I have been into photography for about 4-5 years. Here lately, digital because I don't have the facilities to develop my own film.

Also, I hate using photoshop for my photos. For me it takes away from the art. Lets say you photoshop out a light pole, adjust contrast, increase/decrease saturation. Do you consider this cheating?

If you are shooting digital you better get used to Photoshop. Shooting digital and hating Adobe PS is sort of like shooting film and hating the traditional darkroom.

"Cheating" means breaking the rules. I'm sure there are photo contests where major image editing is considered cheating, but for most photography only the photographer can set the rules. My opinion is as long as you are not trying to pass off a photo that's been manipulated quite a bit as an unmanipulated photo, then I'm okay with it. I consider normal color, contrast, sharpness, saturation adjustments, etc... to be fairly minor, and similar to adjustments that are often made in a traditional lab or darkroom.

Here's the link to the most recent discussion about "real" photography. Check it out and add your 2 cents.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17712

"If you are shooting digital you better get used to Photoshop. Shooting digital and hating Adobe PS is sort of like shooting film and hating the traditional darkroom."

"Cheating" means breaking the rules."

Wow, such words to answer that :)

Actually, that thread made me feel alot better about it. Thanks!

ksmattfish said:
...sort of like shooting film and hating the traditional darkroom.
Well what if I do? It's not a crime...
Hold on. This is Matt I'm talking too. He considers hating wet work to be a bigger crime than eating babies. I'm doomed.

:mrgreen:

Hertz van Rental said:
Well what if I do? It's not a crime...
Hold on. This is Matt I'm talking too. He considers hating wet work to be a bigger crime than eating babies. I'm doomed.

Who says I'm against eating babies?

I know most folks find darkroom work very tedious. The exciting part of photography is pushing the button. Most folks I know that hate the traditional darkroom have gone digital so they don't have to deal with it. Didn't you just buy a digital camera? ;)

I was just pointing out that film was designed to go in the chemical darkroom, and if you're going to shoot it you're going to have to deal with the chemical darkroom either yourself, or have someone else do it. And with digital, you're going to have to use Photoshop, or some other digital editing software; you can do it yourself, or have someone else do it, but it's part of digital photography.

I never used to find the darkroom tedious - it's only happened in the past few years. It's probably got something to do with the shift of my interests from the process of Photography to the nature of Photography.
But I agree. There is no real difference between using a darkroom for traditional and PS for digital. Both can be used to excess and just for their own sake. The only real difference is that with PS people think they know what they are doing whilst the darkroom makes it obvious when people lack understanding.

(Hmm. So you're not against eating babies - but I'd bet you'd kill if you saw someone mistreat a Rollei ;-) )

Hertz van Rental said:
I'd bet you'd kill if you saw someone mistreat a Rollei ;-) )

The only way I know to mistreat a Rollei is to leave it sitting on the shelf.

Nevermind - I see that it's a camera. Given that you are in the UK, I thought it might be some kind of British candy. (We have a Rollo in America - candy) I guess I'm the newest of the new.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back