New here, please critique

crawdaddio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to get some general feed back (hope this is the right gallery). Here's a few shots. Let me know what you think about 'em (composition, framing, exposure, overall feel, etc....).

Nikon D50
Just going for a nice DOF:
thethree.jpg

Better in color? or black and white?

zippo2.jpg

zippo2bw.jpg

How do you feel about this one?

allisonwithghostbartender.jpg

JonMikal said:
nice series.
love the atmosphere in the last.
Thanks JonMikal. I'd like to hear from someone who obviously takes fantastic photographs (you) how the focal quality and exposure is on these shots. I'm planning on getting back into film, and I'm using the dig. to get used to capturing well without wasting film. The above photos have not been edited, excepting the BW conversion.

1- 1/30
f1.8
manual focus @ 50mm
iso800
2- 2sec.
f4.5
manual focus @ 50mm
iso200
3- 4sec
f6.7
manual focus @ 28mm
iso400

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~DC

quite honestly, i believe you achieved good results with all. you've managed to isolate your subjects with the proper settings required to draw attention to your subjects. however, you may adjust your settings (decrease the shutter) in 2&3 to get more detail in the flame; the background won't suffer much. great thing about digital....allows you to experiment till you drop :)

judging from your manual abilities, don't hesitate to jump into film.....keep shooting manual for total control.

hope to see more of your work real soon! :thumbup:

JonMikal said:
quite honestly, i believe you achieved good results with all. you've managed to isolate your subjects with the proper settings required to draw attention to your subjects. however, you may adjust your settings (decrease the shutter) in 2&3 to get more detail in the flame; the background won't suffer much. great thing about digital....allows you to experiment till you drop :)

judging from your manual abilities, don't hesitate to jump into film.....keep shooting manual for total control.

hope to see more of your work real soon! :thumbup:

Do you mean faster shutter speed? Or slower? I think you mean faster. Anyway, thank you, and I'll be posting more pics in the future here. Great site...........

~DC

the last shot is really amazing.. you have stopped the subject, while the world seems to be continuing along with out her...great idea....

( and you can listen to jonmikal..or a number of others on here who really know what they are talking about....they wont steer you wrong...!!)

Thank you very much. I like that one alot too. It was hard to get her to hold still though.................................

~DC

I find the last one depressing. That's good :thumbup: , as I think anytime you can invoke an emotion in the viewer it makes it a good photograph (at least for me).

These are well done. The color Zippo is my second favorite.

None of these really appeal to me. But I think better composition with the pool table could have helped that shot alot.

You want honest critique. I like them all. They all have a perspective and it is yours. I especially like the pub scene. It appears raw, unrehearsed and spontaneous. They can be the most difficult at times. Keep shooting, keep posting, and this forum will critique kindly and wisely.

The color Zippo pic evoked this response:
"That's Cool!" It really caught my eye! Great shot!

Most reactions

Back