New Here, Saying "Hi" and Hoping for some CC

Thanks so much for your kind comments and warm welcome everyone!

Wonderful work Jenn! Do you just setup a location and let the kids have at it? How much interaction do you do with the kids? Do you coach them, or just have fun with them to encourage there joy? Looks like you have as much fun as they are having.

Right now I do on location photography. A studio may be something for the future but for right now this works (and it's a bit cheaper!). The downside to on sight photography is that you can't control your environment in regards to how much light you have which can be a problem when shooting with only natural light (and living in the North East where it's too cold for outdoor shoots half the year!). I have asked for a SB800 speedlight for Christmas so hopefully that will help when in those situations where there is less than ideal light.

Thus far the sessions that I have done have been for very close family and friends. I was able to squeeze one in when it was still warm outside, one was inside the client's house where she had nice, big north facing windows and the other two we did at a local indoor botanical gardens that gets good light.

I'm pretty laid back during the sessions. I do try and get a feel beforehand for what the parents are looking for..do they like more posed or candids, do they mind shots from behind or where the children aren't looking directly at the camera..do they mind if the children aren't smiling 100% of the time etc.. From there I try and get a good balance of candid, in the moment type of photos and more traditional portrait type of photos. I like to also try and get a feel for what the child's personality is and bring that out in the photos. If a child is super shy I'm not going to try and get a bunch of super bubbly, playful shots but try and focus more on the introspective side of the child, kwim? Also, when it comes to candids many times I do need to "candidly pose" or set up something that I think will come across well.

Thanks again for all your comments. I have the photography basics pretty much down..it's putting it all together while photographing fast moving subjects like kids that I need more practice at! Currently I take an average of 300 photos at a session and out of those I'm really happy with maybe 20-30 of them. Exposure and focus are my biggest struggles but with each session I learn a little more and the ratio of good to bad photos goes up which is encouraging!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

Hi Jenn,

I'm new here also. Love your work with the kids!

"Anyway, I don't have a website quite yet, but I have put a blog together as a sort of a temporary portfolio. If you could take a look and let me know what you think I'd be most appreciative!"

I am no one to critique.

All you're pictures are awesome.

But THIS is the BEST!!! :lmao: :lol:

kristie15blog-3.jpg

Your work is very inspiring. :thumbup:

Thanks! I loved that one too...I had a bunch of him smiling, but the fact was that he gave me a lot of tears too, so why not capture the moment. I figured he's only going to be a baby once and a few years down the line they may want to remember how sweet his little sad face was when he cried. I debated putting it into my blog but then I realized that I'm not just trying to capture joy, but a whole range of emotions so why not!

Wow! Great photos - welcome to tpf. :)

You have good taste.
And all your works were done in good taste!
Excellent!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back