New Here; some senior shots I just did...

natewatters

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So this is my first post...I've been hanging out here for a little while checking things out. There's some great work in this forum so I was a little hesitant to post any photos and I don't like showing off my stuff, but this seems like a good place to get some good critiquing (so please do)...I just did these senior portraits for my girlfriend's sister. Of course I didn't charge anything as this was only my first time doing any sort of posed portrait stuff. Had a good time though...let me know what you think, what I can do differently, etc. Thanks!

2982112294_6cdde2faa0.jpg

2982112270_721b64a967.jpg

2982112252_50403126a5.jpg

2863133824_bc363c5c57.jpg

2863126956_3523f7f074.jpg

Wow these are really good! If you had not said I would never have thought this was your first try. Very nice lighting and good poses.

I agree... I like your shots quite a bit... Don't feel nervous :)

a couple of thoughts...
1. Not usually a fan of hands tucked in pockets, but this seems to work ok here.
2. I like the shot, but the perspective is a little funky. The rails seem to be maybe 2-3 feet tall. Also, I think either seeing more of her legs or none would be better (note bottom right of photo with a bit of the knees visible)
3. AHHH!!! She lost her hands. Umm, I like the shot in general very crisp, well, exposed etc. but you cropped out her hands, and her left shoulder (though the shoulder is probably ok) When cropping appendages you usually want to avoid doing it at joints, or close to hands or feet.
4. Nice shot... she reminds me of a cat... might want to watch that right hand, it doesn't look very soft and feminine, more as I said, cat like.
5. well, exposed... probably one of the weaker ones in the set. I think it looks a bit cramped, she lost her hands, and when you're using a relatively wide angled lens from above and close up perception changes. I.E. in this photo I think it makes her nose and forehead look big because it's so close to the camera compared to everything else.

These are just my $0.02, your mileage may vary.

Hey thanks for all the responses and thanks Nate for all the great CC....That amputee arm has bugged the hell out of me since i first saw it. That's the toughest thing for me when shooting people-cutting off various appendages and where to do it. For those who were asking im shooting a Nikon D70s with the 18-70 3.5-4.5 and an sb600 which i am sometimes firing remotely from various angles undiffused. Just picked up a shoot-through umbrella though, so im excited for that. Thanks again for the comments!

I REALLY like #1.

LOVE #1 it's great. I really like the post processing on it. (ie...I need tips!)

I think #3 is my favorite. The train tracks are an interesting place to take senior pics but I think it adds some interest.

Most reactions

Back