New here with a Macro question

josh.henry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I am brand new here and I want to try and get answered a question that I have had now for a while.

I have a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro lens and I want to reverse mount a prime lens on the front. I have a 50mm f/1.4 that I have done this with. I also know that the smaller the focal length of the reversed lens, the higher the magnification will be. I am trying to decide what lens to purchase. Is there going to be a difference between getting a 28mm 2.8, vs a 28mm f/2, or a 24mm f/2.8 lens? How much of a difference will the partial step aperture make or the 4mm in focal length? Also, is one of the lenses better suited to this type of work or something totally different than my examples maybe?

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions in advance.

Josh

Thanks for the reply. I've actually read all of those previously. I know the process involved and the basics. I am looking to get a shorter focal length lens to reverse on my Tamron lens. My real question is I know the smaller focal length of lens you use in reversed position gives you a larger magnification. It also increases the possibility of vignetting. I am curious what the limits are and if there are some lenses that are better suited to this than others. i.e. is a 24mm better than the 28mm lens and why? Is there a way to calculate the shortest focal length that is usable with a particular lens setup before vignetting occurs? Not sure if a real answer exists. I was just hoping that I could find someone that was more knowledgeable than I am on the subject to shine some light.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back