new here with pics for CC :)

TynDre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I have been shooting for just a few months now with my Rebel. I love the camera and ultimately would like to go pro one day. Here's a few pics I have taken recently. Any CC is welcome. I am trying to learn, learn learn!!

DPP_5-Copy.jpg

DPP_2.jpg

DPP_8.jpg

DPP_11-1.jpg

DPP_6-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

1, 2, 4, &5 look like snapshots to me. Cute family/kids no doubt, but they're very simple shots.

3 has some potential IMO, I like the colors and his expression...but I'd like it more if I could see even 3/4 of his face, just a bit less turn.

Also, the bisected background is distracting to me...maybe it's because I just woke up, but I think I'd like it more if you chose either the side of the house to fill the frame in the background or the trees/woods on the left to fill the frame. The trees would work better with his attire, IMO...the warm jacket/hat and hands in the pockets = cold, the trees would look natural.

Just my $0.02 :)

You have the right feel for the shooting.

Good control over the camera in general, and obviously a people shooter.

Now my C&C is gonna be a bit harsh, but learn and you will do very very well.

The issues I see first off are: Tonealaty. A bit more black "punch" and deeper color saturation is needed in the shots. Check you exposure. (This is common with vertually everyone.)
What you want to do is shoot for (expose for) the subject, whereas you have some (very minor) wash out in the background. Again, this is common with new photographers, and one I still struggle with. (Shooting for over 35 years.)

The offset of subject is ok to a point, but pay attention to the rules of thirds Basic Photography. The Rule of Thirds.

The black and white is ok, but punch up the contrast just a bit. Again, toneality control is key.

Not knowing the model, I cant direct you to how to adjust that in camera.
Big thing, is keep shooting and have lots of fun. Try diff. angles, and diff. exposures. Being digital, you can do that all day long and not worry about cost.

In time start working on higher end glass as well. But with the lower end cameras, the bodies are open to flexation from the weight of the lens.

Overall, not a bad start at all, and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the CC. Not harsh at all...I really want to learn so it's not offensive or anything :) These were edited a bit and I am new to that as well. I do have trouble not washing out the backround when exposing for the subject...I'm not sure at this point how to fix what I am doing.
My favorite is the first B&W one and I was wondering if you had any tips on how I could of made it not look "snapshotish" ?

Thanks again for your CC!

pump up the contrast just a small amount and if useing photoshope, adjust your gamma a bit get get it to pop. Personally it looks a bit over exposed. As for shooting.. Simply set your exposure meter to Center-Weighted, and that should help some.

I have the raw file so I can go back and try to fix the exposure a bit..I dont have photoshop yet. I use Gimp for now.

I'll add the file that was SOOC so you can see if its better than my edit.

I personally don't see the "snapshottish" part of the first image, I think it looks fine. I personally think that the biggest problem with it is a rather blah b&w conversion.

Ok here's the pic SOOC with just a black and white conversion

DPP_13.jpg

Ok good on the black. Now, adjust the cuves... (I am assuming you have Gimp 5.8).
5.8. Curves

Get the mid and whites to balance out.

Ok here's my go of it...better? or not?

DPP_13-1.jpg

Yes.. Very much so.... Now, try the same thing with the other shots, be careful and DONT over do it. This is a time consuming learning curve, so dont get discouraged... Your doing very well.

play with it, and get the feel for it.

Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

Back