new here

panthrcat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!
my name is Sue and I'm new here,, I figured I would jump right in and introduce myself and ask a few questions whilst I do that.

I work full time, am a wife and mother of 2. I love the outdoors and try to get out as often as I can, I own a Canon EOS 40D with a few lenses, one that I tend to use alot in the wild is my Canon 100-400 IS L lens..

I have been asked to do a few weddings, I have done a few to date, and am currently setting up my own studio in my house. Problem is now that I have purchases soft boxes and strobes, and have several back drops, I'm allowing "fear" to keep me from really getting out there to play. perhaps I shouldn't say "fear" but my being unfamiliar with my new gear has caused me to doubt myself. Is that normal? I'm down on myself and think I may be no good at what my dreams tell me to do.

I had a girlfriend come over last night to be my model, but alas,, no images are worth showing at this point...

so after that is all said,, my question is this: Is there a starting point for what I want to do? is there something I should be doing first before diving in and wanting professional looking images? like a step by step on the "how to's"???

I'm so lost.

Sue

For sure there's a lot to learn when you get into strobes and setting up a studio. I think the best way to get over any fears and insecurities is to really know your stuff inside and out. Practice shooting stuffed animals or some other inanimate object that doesn't get bored, with different setups and stuff. Once you get used to that, start practising on family and friends, eventually working up to strangers.

When working with lights I find it's easy to get caught up in the technical stuff and keep people waiting, so it's best to practice a lot before hand so the shoot goes smoothly.

It sounds like you have experience shooting people and weddings, etc, so maybe it's just a matter of getting more familiar with your new gear?

All sounds perfectly normal to me - give this little gem of a video a watch first :
Zack Arias – Atlanta based editorial music photographer » Transform :: A short film for ScottKelby.com

For lighting and studio setups I can't be much more help than to encouage you to keep trying (I've never done any - the closest I get is bugs in a tray) and practice a lot. Like andrew suggests an inanimate object is good to start with - just to get an idea of the way the light plays over it and how it affects the shot in different ways. Get a feel for the gear and then use your kids as models (you might need bribery to keep them in the same spot for a while) to test different setups out.

Also I encourage you to post your best results here and get some feedback - even if they are not your best work, post a few up and get some pointers. Often its the little things that we keep doing wrong over and over and they slip by as we try to think up horribly compliacted things that we might be doing wrong.
Give this thread a read as well before you post your first examples up: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...e-your-posts-get-critiques-your-work-c-c.html

We are always our worst enemy and negative self talk will absolutely come true if you let it become dogma for you.

The fact is, you can learn to do anything you set your mind to.

Will you make mistakes? Sure, we all did at first. Just remember, you'll learn a little more with each one you make.

There's even a name for that process, it's called learning. :D:thumbup:

You're not doing surgery - - so mistakes are okay!

Take some pics, then take some more - - after that, then take even more. . .

Post some here for critique, and remember to evaluate the criticism as being directed at the pic and not you.

Go for it!

thanks folks for replying!! I have been taking a few images,, I'll try to get some posted over the next few days,, I'm back to work now,, should be early next week I'll be ready to post some more.

thank you for the links and helpful tips. I do know I'll be making mistakes,, but hey,, that's how we learn,, isn't that right?

Sue

Hi Sue,

Aritay is spot-on. No-on is going to die if you make a mistake, and make mistakes you will. i am with you 100%. You are ahead of me as far a gear goes, but the same insecurities are in everyone when trying something new. Just know that your worst result will not be the end of the world and is only reflective of a lesson that is still to be learned, not a failure.

Do it. Have fun.

…..And share so we can all learn together.

Cheers!

Sue, I would go to a local library and read books on how to shoot studio pictures. The libraries are way under utilized as people just don't like to read. But if you stop by one you will be pleased to find all sort of photography books. I am talking about recent published books that are brand new! There may also be classes in your local junior colleges too. I took some photography classes when I was in high school and Jr. college and actually learned a lot. And don't be afraid of bad shots. Keep taking a lot of pictures and you will get better at it each time. Don't be too critical of yourself. Just enjoy what you love to do. Chip

thanks again for your help in this thread,, I have a few images perhaps I'll post in another thread sometime today... portrait shots of a girlfriend who was kind enough to come over to help.

and chip,, I wanted to say that I am a die hard lover of books,, I go to the library often and have read till my hearts content on photography.. I also buy books at a monotonous rate,, and read on my night shifts,, I do love to read!! and if I can learn whilst I'm at it,, woohoo!!

Sue

I'll second what Chip said. Get as much info as you can. It doesn't all have to sink in right away, but at least it can give you something as a base when you are testing, playing and experimenting with your gear.

If you like reading, then by all means, get some books. Don't be turned away from older books....besides the obvious differences between film & digital, most of the rest of it (lighting, posing, composition etc) are the same as they've always been.

And certainly look into taking a class or two, if you can. Learning on you own is great if you can learn that way. But being in a room of like-minded people and having an instructor/pro photographer to talk to, is really a great way to learn.

Hey guys! I'm also new here!!! Nice to meet you all! ANd hope to here some tips and suggestions from you guys soon! Thanks!!!:hug::

Most reactions

Back