New here.

Thunder_o_b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Macro is my favorite form of photography. I enjoy the other forms (except people, I don't photograph them for the most part)

I did not see any guidelines as to the number of photos per thread, or per day. Is there a rule for this? Is this room for only true macro? Or are closeups allowed as well?

Here is a mix of shots to let you know where I am at with this obsession. I hope there are not to many shots in the thread.

1. From yesterday's visit to the Cleveland Botanical Gardens butterfly room.
_MG_1037DMKII0.jpg

2. A shot of my iMac using a 10x microscope objective lens mounted on a 50D, handheld
_MG_38450.jpg

3. A pair of amorous hover flies.
_MG_17660.jpg

4. Eye to eye with a horse fly.
_MG_97940.jpg

5. A little damsel fly on my arm after I saved it from an abandoned spider web.
_MG_96130.jpg

6. A hover fly, that is my fingernail in the BG.
IMG_7890copy0.jpg

7. A little jumper.
_MG_86020.jpg

8. Naughty bits of a flower.
2010-04-21-140856ZSPMaxo1.jpg

Nice work! Care to list the gear you use, and how you are lighting these?

Thank you Charlie :D

All but the first shot were taken with a Canon 50D. The lenses used were Sigma f/2.8 150mm macro, Canon MP-E65, and a 10x microscope objective lens mounted to the camera body. The lighting for all but the first shot and the screen shot of the iMac was a bracket mounted 580EX with a soft box. All were hand held.

The first shot was taken with a 5DMKII, Sigma f/2.8 150 macro and 68mm of Kenko extension tubes with a MT-24 twin head flash with the heads mounted in a bracket with 19 inch arms, handheld. I rarely use a tripod for 5x or less photos unless I am photo stacking.

I have photos of the gear, would you like for me to post them?

Thank you Charlie :D

All but the first shot were taken with a Canon 50D. The lenses used were Sigma f/2.8 150mm macro, Canon MP-E65, and a 10x microscope objective lens mounted to the camera body. The lighting for all but the first shot and the screen shot of the iMac was a bracket mounted 580EX with a soft box. All were hand held.

The first shot was taken with a 5DMKII, Sigma f/2.8 150 macro and 68mm of Kenko extension tubes with a MT-24 twin head flash with the heads mounted in a bracket with 19 inch arms, handheld. I rarely use a tripod for 5x or less photos unless I am photo stacking.

I have photos of the gear, would you like for me to post them?

No need for photos! I thought some of those looked like the MP-E 65 lens! Very nice! What softbox are you using? Definitely some nice light!

Thank you Charlie. It is a Westcott Apollo 8" light modifier Westcott Micro Apollo Softbox - 5 x 8" (13 x 20cm) 2200 B&H Though, I have not used it much since I picked up the twin arm bracket for the MT-24 flash heads.

Nice! I have an 8x8 Lastolite I use a lot for Macro.. and am working on a diffused twin flash rig also... using two SB-900s right now. Kind of a beast, but gives nice light.

Good light is all that matters. I love to see the reaction when I let people hold my full macro rig and they feel its weight :lol:

I look forward to seeing the results that you get when you are finished with that setup.

Thank you Charlie. It is a Westcott Apollo 8" light modifier Westcott Micro Apollo Softbox - 5 x 8" (13 x 20cm) 2200 B&H Though, I have not used it much since I picked up the twin arm bracket for the MT-24 flash heads.

Nice! I have an 8x8 Lastolite I use a lot for Macro.. and am working on a diffused twin flash rig also... using two SB-900s right now. Kind of a beast, but gives nice light.

Good light is all that matters. I love to see the reaction when I let people hold my full macro rig and they feel its weight :lol:

I look forward to seeing the results that you get when you are finished with that setup.

I know what you mean about the weight! Gets you some strange looks at times too! I do wish Nikon had a lens similar to the MP-E... I have actually considered buying a canon body just so I could pick up that lens, but probably never will! :)

I also wish Nikon would come out with an updated version of the 200mm Micro they make... I want one, but keep waiting to see what they do! lol!

I also wish Nikon would come out with an updated version of the 200mm Micro they make... I want one, but keep waiting to see what they do! lol!

You can get close to 4:1 using a set of Kenko ext tubes Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG for Nikon Lens AEXTUBEDGN B&H, and with a crop sensor you will be near what the 65 is on a FF. I have had a set for several years and love them.

I have the Kenko's.. just don't use them much. Need to utilize them more for the extreme close-up stuff! Not enough time... work gets in the way! lol!

You can get close to 4:1 using a set of Kenko ext tubes Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG for Nikon Lens AEXTUBEDGN B&H, and with a crop sensor you will be near what the 65 is on a FF. I have had a set for several years and love them.

I have the Kenko's.. just don't use them much. Need to utilize them more for the extreme close-up stuff! Not enough time... work gets in the way! lol!

Sorry for the dbl post.

I understand not having any time due to work. We work a mandatory 70 hrs a week…No over time, the trucking ind. is exempt from the fair labor laws.

Ya do what you can I guess *sigh*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back