New here

holty2503

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post on here so here goes, i have just bought myself my first DSLR it's a Samsung GX 1L it has come with two lenses a 18-55 and a 50-200 i am so happy with it, has anyone else got any opinions on this camera and have i made the right decision.

Thanks all.

Hello and welcome!! i don't know much but if your happy with it! thats all that matters right
Merry christmas mate!!

Welcome to the forum (pronounced: fun)!

Just reading about your camera, since I've never heard of it, and from what I can tell it's a design from Samsung working with Pentax. If Samsung puts the same quality into their cameras they do with their phones, you should be just fine, and it should at the least be a good learning camera anyway. That's a really nice range of lenses to start you off with...depending on what type of shooting you do you could go a very long time without needing more. Just make sure you get a tripod, and that's one area I don't skimp (being a video guy as well)...although I do get weird looks from pros and some others when I show up with my D50 and a tripod that cost more :lmao: (and I'm not saying you should go THAT far on a tripod, either).

Only time and the camera itself can tell you if you made the proper choice. If the final prints meet your own personal criteria, you did.

Season's best!

The consensus seems to be that this Samsung is essentially a re-branded Pentax *ist DL2 (that's DL2, not D, DL, DS or DS2, although they are mostly very similar). The lenses are also rebranded Pentax ones. So you're likely to find out a lot more about this camera by looking up the Pentax DL2, 18-55mm and 50-200mm.

The camera may use slightly different software from the Pentax, and I don't know whether they're made in the same factory or with the same quality control etc, so I don't know if performance will actually be the same as with the Pentax. What I do know is that you can use any Pentax K-mount lens with it. Samsung probably didn't tell you that, because understandably they want to look like they're producing their own DSLRs and they want you to buy 'their' lenses, but there are lots of K-mount lenses around (both auto and manual focus) to choose from.

The 18-55mm lens, assuming it is the same as the Pentax, is not bad for a kit lens. As usual it's best to stop down the aperture a bit. It's also good for relatively close shots (minimum focusing distance is under 25cm).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back