New Holga Pic

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
I am not sure how I feel about this one, or what direction I should take it. Thoughts?

Camera: Holga
Film: Fuji Neopan 400, developed in Rodinal (1:50)
Printed with #3 filter

I like how the light leak came out. I don't usually like the big swoop leaks, but to me it looks almost like a reflection on the water, so it works for me.

081204beachlogs.jpg

I really need to find out what a Holga is, these are some cool pictures being posted.

I have been seriously thinking of getting a Holga. This has cemented my desire. :thumbsup:

Could the light leakage be avoided in Holgas? It helps here but there might be scenarios where you would not want the leakage.

danalec99 said:
I have been seriously thinking of getting a Holga. This has cemented my desire. :thumbsup:

Could the light leakage be avoided in Holgas? It helps here but there might be scenarios where you would not want the leakage.

There are situations where you wouldn't want light leakage. In those situations, don't use a Holga :p

Nice shot, Orie! I love this composition. Beautiful and moody. I would agree that the light leak here doesn't impact it too badly. That said - girl, you gotta find where that leak is coming from and tape it up. Although it's not particularly hurting it, this image would be perfection without it. I think with Holgas, the stray light leak here and there is acceptable - but they are easily dealt with too, so why risk it?

Where to go with it....? hmmmm.... well, what I am missing here is the vignetting I love so much. If you were to take your hand or a large roundish dodging tool and add some more time after you've gotten your original exposure, you could heighten your vignetting effect in the corners. Speaking from my vast darkroom experience :LOL: I just played with that bike shop image of mine, and it worked like a charm. I suppose it's personal preference, but to me, that's what Holgas are really the best thing for - the way they kind of "fall off" at the edges. But if you did feel like playing with it some more, that's what I'd try to do.

Either way, you have a great image here! :cheer:

gorgeous shot- can't think of anything i'd do to improve it.
i love your work

Digital Matt said:
danalec99 said:

There are situations where you wouldn't want light leakage. In those situations, don't use a Holga :p

No, no, no....just tape the mutha. Then tape over the tape. :wink: It ain't that big a deal.

Thanks guys. :D

Terri, I didn't get much vignetting on this roll. I forgot to take the insert out. I think I mentioned before that I was trying to modify the insert to a square to see if it would curb light leaks, but still allow vignetting and a square format. It didn't really work. I get no vignetting, but still get all the leaks. :| Time to throw the mother away. Not sure why the leak on this one was so bad, some of the others aren't. But I will try to see if I can create a vignette on it, like you suggest. Will be a good experiment. :)

This has convinced me to try Fugi Neopan film. Until recently I've used nothing but Kodak, but now I've made the jump to Ilford HP-5 and really like the results.

Awsome pic orie. I like the light streak. If anyone asks about it, just tell them it was a long exposure and Tinker Bell flew through the frame :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back