New in Nevada!

laura82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! My name is Laura, posting from Las Vegas. I stumbled upon this forum somehow and fell in love! Photography is something that I love, but I'm not too good at....yet! I've noticed from reading that everyone gives helpful tips, so that's definitely something that I can benefit from.

Recently I've been thinking about taking the NYIP course. Anybody familiar with the program and if it's any good? Better yet - what's the best way for someone like me to learn? Currently I only have a point-n-shoot camera. Is that okay to start with or should I go ahead and invest in a better camera?

Welcome to the forum.

I've known a few people around here to take the NYIP courses...most don't finish, I think because it's an awkward way of taking a course. You would really need to be self motivated.

To get started, I'd suggest doing a lot of reading. One of the most recommended books is Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson. Once you have a basic knowledge, you should be able to experiment and figure things out, and we are here to answer questions you might have along the way.

You certainly can start with a P&S type camera...but sooner or later you might feel limited by it. A better camera might be a good idea, but it's also a good idea to get some knowledge first, so that you have a better idea of what to get later.

Hello Laura and Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Big Mike, I bought Understanding Exposure and found it very helpful.

I might also suggest that you look locally, camera clubs ad classes are also a good source of knowledge and fun. Along with all the helpful folks here at TPF.

Thanks for the reply guys!! I'll definitely check out the book you recommended first. A lot better than dishing out almost $1000 for the course!
I hope to talk to you some more as time goes on! Hopefully I'll be posting some pics soon and you can let me know what you think. :D

Welcome aboard.

Most reactions

Back