new(ish) to wedding photography....c&c please.

C.Lloyd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've been taking pictures for as long as I can remember, but just the past couple of years have gotten into the wedding realm. Just friends' weddings and one friend of a friend. One of them wasn't even going to get a photog at all, so I pretty much did it for free. Anyhow, let me know what you think.

I hope this links thru Facebook...

(yes, i know it's tilted, it was intended to look fun)

Thanks for looking!!

Pic 2. The vignette doesnt do it for me. It cuts off and too much blank space. But 4 and 6 are quite nice

I'm never a fan of vingetting unless it is done in camera with an "arty" camera/lens, think holgas, and even then I'm not really thrilled with it.

I know most wedding people love the vingetting, selective desat, faux soft-focus, etc and as a photographer you should know when to use it to "help" an otherwise ordinary shot and when you're just putting lipstick on a pig.

#4 and #7 are the best of the bunch.

#1 is framed awkwardly.

#3,6,9,10 get closer to the subject.

The guy's face in #2...

Sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but I get the most out of a critique when people are honest about which shots don't work.

Thanks for the input. I love getting feedback that isn't just "i like this one" or "i don't like that one", although hearing that someone likes a shot isn't a bad thing.

I guess I need to work hard on my people photography most, since I feel that #4 & #7 are the best of the bunch too (and they're the inanimate ones).

In #1, I thought that the guy in the background taking the picture made the scene look a little like a celebrity wedding, since it showed another person taking pictures. And oddly enough, that's the best man on the right, the maid of honor was 6 feet off the left and to get her in the shot made for really awkward angles. I'm also not a big fan of the "O" face of the minister.

#2... the guy's face....I feel ya, but that was the best he had to give.... :meh:. You shoulda seen some of the others...

Too much nothingness in 3,6,9 and 10, eh? You're probably right, I could crop those a bit closer... although in #3, I'd lose the cool halo effect of the light.(which I didn't create in PS, but the way, the light from the flash did that. I did punch up the blur a little, though. And the vignetting in that one is all from the lens). Also in #3, I was only about 5 feet away, my toes are just outside the frame of that shot. I was shooting pretty wide angle, 11mm IIRC.

Wasn't harsh at all, tmyprod, I appreciate all comments/criticisms.

Oh, and I just noticed I don't have a #5, it goes right from #4 to #6.

Last edited:
Anybody else?

Hmmph.... they must not suck too much, nobody tore into them badly. (Not that I'm looking for someone to do that).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back