New "L" Glass on it's way

Johno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just ordered my new EF 24-70 f2.8 L, Can't wait for it to arrive! Anyone had any experience with this lens? I've read all the reviews, it seems like the quality can vary, I've had nothing but good experiences with "L" glass, anyone had any bad?

I've heard nothing but great reviews. Just about every Wedding Pro I've met, has one and loves it.

Seeing as you are also in Canada, where did you purchase the lens (Canada or US) and did you get a good deal? The Prices for most photography stuff is usually much higher in Canada, compared to the US...especially now that our dollar is doing well. I've been thinking that it would be cheaper to order from B&H or Adorama and pay the shipping & conversion etc.

Mike,
I thought so too, but I went with Vistek out of Ontario (I'm in BC) B&H's price was $1150+/- american, By the time I paid for shipping ($50 U.S.) and tax (PST&GST) it would have cost me about $1450cad (By my calcs which are a bit sketchy!) Vistek offers free shipping and was selling the 24-70 for $1359+tax. I paid $30 for next day delivery and the total was only $1478. I'm paying a bit more but last time I ordered a lens from B&H it took almost three weeks to get here because it got stuck in customs. If i'm gonna drop $1500 bones on a lens I want it ASAP. I also got a quote from Kerrisdale cameras in Victoria, BC. He was only going to charge me $1369.99+Tax but I would have to wait for three weeks before I could pick it up.

That's pretty much what I have found...the actual price is cheaper but taxes and shipping often bring it into line. Some things have a bigger difference in price though...so it makes me think.

On a side note;
There is a Vistek in Calgary, that might have been quicker & easier, going to B.C. I've found Vistek prices to be a bit high, The Camera Store, also in Calgary, seems to be a bit lower for several things. Camera Canada out of Ontario, is a mail-order division of a real store...and has pretty good prices as well. McBain Camera, here in Edmonton, has high prices but offer to match prices against other 'in-store' prices and also has free shipping on order over a certain amount.

Right now I'm waiting for my order from Alien Bee to arrive (sometime today). It had to be shipped via UPS ground...so I'm going to get stuck with all sorts of tax and other fees on top of the shipping costs...but still a good deal compared to what is avaliable around here.

The lens rocks. I haven't had it off my camera since I got it.

Don't put a lens filter on, it will affect the work you're doing. Even my $80 Heliopan UV filter took some edge off. If you're worried about bumping into stuff, keep the lens hood on.

boclcown said:
what does the "L" mean?

L is the designation that Canon uses for it's Professional or Premium lenses. Some say it stands for Luxury...but I don't know for sure.

What you need to know is that if it's a Canon lens and it has L in the name...it will be a great lens...and most likely expensive.

New lens just arrived. Can't wait to go and shoot, have to wait until after work unfortunately!! Oh and Mike, I ordered from VISTEK's website, I assumed that they would ship it from Ontario but you were right, It shipped from Calgary, anyways......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back