New learnin' old idea.... (yes, more water drops) C&C please!

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I've been bored tonight. Listening to Neko Case cover Earnst Tubbs, drinking Scotch and playing with the camera.

Here is the age old water drop shot, but with some fun lighting. This shot is lit by a SB-600 on the white background (Blue gel) pointed upwards to make use of the falloff, and a SB-125 (green gel) from the left with barn doors as to not pollute the background. This is pretty much straight out o the camera.

C&C would be appreciated. I know there isn't much to it, but it wsa fun as all get out setting it up.

Last edited:
Poor Ellen Smith. How was she found?

Nice to see a bit of a fresh perspective on water drops

looks great! How bout a shot of the setup?

Nicely done I'd say. The glistening green highlight is really the icing on the cake for it.

This is a GREAT SHOT, Strad! Terrific creativity. Was the flare added in PP? Are you sure it was just scotch? you didn't burn or smoke anything, did you?

Thanks folks! It was a lot of fun.

Was the flare added in PP?

Nope. The only thing done in PP was crop.

Are you sure it was just scotch? you didn't burn or smoke anything, did you?

Yep. Certain. The smokables aren't for me. Nothing against them mind you, just not my cup 'o tea.

Well to be fair, I did prime the pump with a 22oz bomber of Lagunita's "Hop Stoopid".

looks great! How bout a shot of the setup?

Thanks!

It's seriously simple, but here you go.

Dropsetup.jpg

The glass of water was up on a platform, I used a microphone boom stand to hold a ziplock bag of water with a small hole in it above the glass creating a steady drip. I also put a strip of wihte paper ove the blue gelled strobe to try to keep it out of the reflection in the droplet

When I get around to it, I'm going to try to PP the left side of the water to match the right side, getting rid of the dark spot.

Not tonight though. I'm all mussed up on cheap scotch and expensive beer.

Last edited:
Nice shot Strad! I can see that leaving negative space on the top of the splash works however personally I prefer a crop just around the splash. Droplet shots are almost all unique so having a closer crop just does it justice I think - this one I really like especially with the flash burst reflection.

Let me know if you want this taken down..

5739262666_8a4cf7668f_z.jpg

I just noticed now I'm going to have to ding myself for the water horizon :lol:

Interesting shot, thanks for sharing the setup ;)

Most reactions

Back