New Lens for D7000 - Long Term Plan

axu539

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got myself quite interested in photography and bought a D7000 + 35mm 1.8G DX, along with a 105mm 2.8G VR, and a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G VR. An issue I have seen with myself is that I've gotten a little carried away with browsing lenses and other gear, and I have decided to make myself sort of a "long term plan" in order to optimize my time and money (in terms of gear, at least).

I am a huge fan of primes, but after a trip to the beach with some friends a few days ago, I found myself switching lenses way too much. At this point, I figure it might just be a good idea to plan it out, and eventually just have a complete set of Nikon's Holy Trinity. The other option would be to buy a complete set of primes, but I see that being more expensive in total.

I currently have a 28mm 1.8G on preorder (primarily because I saw what happened with other recent Nikon gear and how it became backordered for quite some time). I figured I might as well preorder it, and cancel my order later if I entirely decide that I don't need the lens. I'm currently trying to decide whether I should keep my order (and give my 35mm to my girlfriend, who really likes the lens) and just spend the $700 now, then save up and buy a different lens a few months to a year down the line. OR, if I cancel my order and buy a 24-70 f/2.8 immediately (stretching the budget a bit).

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what I should do? I am completely open to other suggestions, but I'm fairly set on sticking with Nikon's own lenses, and sticking to either primes or fixed 2.8 zooms. I also fully intend to switch to FX within the next two years, so I'm trying to avoid DX-only lenses.

I was thinking of getting that 35mm for my D7000 - do you rate it? I have a 50mm but for inside it's a bit too close.

The 35mm is brilliant. It's incredibly sharp, and inside, the focal range is just about perfect for people shots. The bokeh is superb. That being said, I do sometimes want just a little bit wider, another reason I'd be willing to replace it with the preordered 28mm, if I decide to stick with primes at all.

I sold my 35mm 1.8 due to the chromatic aberrations

I gave my 35 to my GF, she doesn't mind the CA! Just keep in mind that 35mm's can distort faces... Not really good for portraits!

I'm exactly in the same situation as you concerning the move to FX, but i was planning something else, to buy the 28-300 now and then at the end of the year get the D800\D600, after that, IF i see that the 28-300 is not enough for me (lens fixes i can do in Lightroom 4), i will start getting primes or one of the trinty lenses...depending on what focal length i find myself using the most.

I'm exactly in the same situation as you concerning the move to FX, but i was planning something else, to buy the 28-300 now and then at the end of the year get the D800\D600, after that, IF i see that the 28-300 is not enough for me (lens fixes i can do in Lightroom 4), i will start getting primes or one of the trinty lenses...depending on what focal length i find myself using the most.

I posted a 100% crop of a shot with a D800 and a 28-300 in another thread..... if you want to check out what the two are capable of..... not bad for a 100% crop IMO. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon-lenses/274509-lens-d800-3.html#post2594158

Most reactions

Back