New lens for product photography,Nikon D80?

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I have a Nikon D40 and D80...I am looking for a lens that would do fairly well in close-up (macro) photography and also regular photos...
I'm not sure whether I could use a macro lens for regular "portrait" pictures...
A fast lens would be a nice addition too ;)
Debating between a Prime lens and a Zoom lens...
I already own; a *astigmatic*(broken) AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF
a AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6GII ED
a AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

Thanks for your propositions!
Fred (SunnyHours),

Most macro lenses make great portrait lenses, especially ones in the longer focal length. Why not the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF-S?

The 105 2.8 for sure! Does everything you want and is darn good at it. Unless of course you want something longer like the Nikkor 200mm f/4 macro lens.

Yep, the 105 2.8 rocks! It is faster and sharper than the ones you listed, and it will go full 1:1 if you like where the others won't even get close. I have the 2.8D and although it won't work on your D40, it will on your D80 and is a lot cheaper than the newer VR lens.

Allan

How small the product are you planning to take?

It's mostly linear light fixtures. (usually 4 footer fixtures)
Lit and unlit light fixtures...also other stuff but that would be the main intent for the new lens...
I'd be getting a Manfrotto 190PROB tripod with the Manfrotto 804 RC2 head...would the tripod support the D80 and ?
if there are cheaper lenses that would do as good of a job as the Micro-Nikkor 105mm 2.8G...what about Sigma and Tamron?

After a lot of research I have come to either the AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED N (about 95mm in DX crop)
or the
Sigma AF Macro 105mm f/2.8 EX DG (about 160mm in DX crop)
What would you guys pick?
I'd be leaning a bit more towards the Sigma but the focal length bugs me a bit...
Thanks for your opinions!

Most reactions

Back