New lens for the D5300 : Help...

For the amount of times that I've seen these 3 lenses compared, the Sigma one always comes bottom of the list.

I own the Nikon one and it's a fantastic lens, albeit more expensive than the Tamron, but hey, it's Nikon!

The Tamron is meant to be very close, whilst saving you some money.

Your choice :)

I had v1 of this Sigma. While it's not bad, it's not that good either. Handling sucks. v2 is not that different at all. Be aware.

Do a favor to yourself. Skip this sigma and get either a Tamron 70-300mm or a Nikkor 70-300mm. You won't regret.

Last edited:
Well, thanks guys. Guess, I will go with the Nikon. :)

Nice pics. :)

Will post a few after I get my lens. ;)

I have been using the Nikon 70-300mm VR for a few years now. In fact I am traveling right now with that lens and the 35mm f/1.8G. These would be a good addition to your kit lens.

One more small doubt.

As I understood after doing a bit of research, if I buy a lens from a Japanese seller on ebay (at a cheaper price of-course), the warranty won't apply ?

But, let's say I have a friend visiting Japan. If he can get the lens for a cheaper price there, and he gives it to me (in India), will the warranty be honored by Nikon India ? :)

You have to inquire Nikon India about that, as this varies from country to country.

Hey

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

@jaomul
The Tamron 70-300mm VC seems to be a good option. What about "AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED" ? Is it better than the Tamron (Reviews are good) ? And will it be compatible with my DX ?

@SquarePeg
I'd mostly shooting landscapes and maybe some portraits. So, I think I will go with the 35mm for the prime. And regarding used lenses, maybe later on, when I am little more experienced I could try getting a few high-end lenses. ;)

@goodguy
I don't think I would be moving to a full frame anytime in the near future. And since currently am mostly looking at entry level stuff (which I can hopefully sell off later), I think I will stick with teh DX lenses. I guess the Nikon 70-300mm I have mentioned above is an FX ?

@SCraig
:p I almost bought that one. ;)

@ruifo
Nice list. :) But, until I can get a grip on stuff and due to budget constraints, looks like I will have to stick to the entry level. I will definitely keep this list though. :)

@All
So...

1) Nikon Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX

2) Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD [FX lens]
OR
2) AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED ????????????????????

From reviews, both of these seems to be comparable lenses. And I somehow wanna stick with the Nikon lens (for no apparent reason). :D But of course, if Tamron is the better one, I will go for that. So.... ??????

Thanks in advance.. :)

Go with the Nikon 70-300 over the Tamron 70-300.

the 70-300 f/4 is a great lens, my friend has the nikon version and its very good..

i have the nikon 35mm 1.8 and its a great lens, most of the time i would like to have a zoom lens though..

sigma and tamron both make a really nice 17-50mm f/2.8 lens,

there is the sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 that seems to be really good.

the sigma art 17-35mm f/1.2

the nikon kit lens is not really that bad.

those are the lenses i would take a look at.

I picked up a nikon 55-300 refurb from adorama for $200 that is surprisingly good. Example:
gold-earrings1net.jpg

Most reactions

Back