New Lens is on the way...

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Inexpensive but brand new.. good reviews from Ken Rockwell.. any one have this lens..?? Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D Lens for Nikon DSLR..thanks I think its called the nifty fifty..

Last edited:
Inexpensive but brand new.. good reviews from Ken Rockwell.. any one have this lens..?? Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D Lens for Nikon DSLR..thanks I think its called the nifty fifty..
Nice lens and sharp, maybe not as good as newest version, but much cheaper. As you know it will be a 75mm equivalent on your crop sensor D500.

Last edited:
You know I all but forgot about the crop factor on my canon it’s 1.6 makes it an 80mm for me then... I think.
Run out of toes to count on

Nice lens and sharp, maybe not as good as newest version, but much cheaper. As you know it will be a 75mm equivalent on your crop sensor D500.

Comparison to new G version:
Nikon 50mm AF-S vs AF-D
please explain more of this to me... thank you

does this sound about right..

TimBrandt wrote:

So... I was wondering if a 50mm on a crop-sensor really is equivalent to a 75mm on a Nikon full-frame?

Here's my trail of thought... if we for the sake of argument presume that 85mm is the best for portraits (no need to discuss that now), and shooting with a 50mm on a Nikon crop-sensor camera is equal to 75mm... is that really how it is then? I mean it's called crop-sensor not zoom-sensor right? There is a technical differences between a 75/85mm lens and a 50mm lens, and if the sensor-to-subject distance is the same, and the image of the crop-sensor is 'cropped' to be equal to a 75mm, I would think... that that would mean... that because of the difference in the lenses and the sensor-to-subject distance and just because the two lenses compresses the image differently because of the difference in mm, you can't really call a 50mm on a crop-sensor a 75mm?

What I'm basically getting at is this... will a 50mm on a crop-sensor look exactly like a 75mm on a full-frame? Presuming of course that the sensor and camera themselves produce the same quality picture.

Well your field of view is the same. So you will include the same amount of your surroundings behind your subject. So in that regard the image looks the same.

The narrower field of view causes the compression. So in that regard they look the same. Just crop an image you have and you will see the same effect.

But be aware the DOF equiv. Is also multiplied. So it really looks like an 75mm f2.8ish. An fullframe let's you isolate your subject more with an 85mm (don't know any 75mm).

Besides that 50mm lenses do NOT create the nice bokeh the 85mm have. They tend to be a bit more nervous.

Still for an beginner 50mm f1.8 lenses can be great for experimenting with depth of field. There have been many great portraits taken with them in the real world.

It's not a 75mm on a crop sensor.

It may have the same field of view (angle of view) as a 75mm on a full frame camera but the 50mm is a 50mm lens.

Don't let all of the terms confuse you. Here is all that it is saying. The 50mm f/1.8G for Nikon has an angle of view of 31 degrees 30 seconds on a crop sensor and a 47 degree angle of view on a full frame.

Basically it is like putting blinders on a horse or barn doors on a flash.

Hope that helps.

Fantastic image maker, you will be very pleased with it. Sharp, contrasty, wonderful colors. As long as your camera has an internal focus motor, AF should be fine. If I recall, you have a D500 and that lens is fully compatible.

It's not a 75mm on a crop sensor.

It may have the same field of view (angle of view) as a 75mm on a full frame camera but the 50mm is a 50mm lens.

Don't let all of the terms confuse you. Here is all that it is saying. The 50mm f/1.8G for Nikon has an angle of view of 31 degrees 30 seconds on a crop sensor and a 47 degree angle of view on a full frame.

Basically it is like putting blinders on a horse or barn doors on a flash.

Hope that helps.
very helpful thank you

Fantastic image maker, you will be very pleased with it. Sharp, contrasty, wonderful colors. As long as your camera has an internal focus motor, AF should be fine. If I recall, you have a D500 and that lens is fully compatible.
thank you..

That is a very nice lens as long as you have a camera that can Auto focus it. What camera are you using?

That is a very nice lens as long as you have a camera that can Auto focus it. What camera are you using?
I use the nikon d500 thank you

Most reactions

New Topics

Back