New lens. Medium quality?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay we all know for canon lenses there is the "L" series with the red ring.
Well they of course are very expensive :p and I recently got a 50mm F/1.4 and its sharpness is amazing. Im sure the 50mm F/1.2L is even more sharp.

Anyways, is there a way to look for a lens that is not a poor quality lens (such as kit lens 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6) but also not a pro quality?

It seems lots of decent lenses that are not L lenses, are USM. Is it okay to assume most lenses that are USM are somewhat decent in image quality?

Okay we all know for canon lenses there is the "L" series with the red ring.
Well they of course are very expensive :p and I recently got a 50mm F/1.4 and its sharpness is amazing. Im sure the 50mm F/1.2L is even more sharp.

Anyways, is there a way to look for a lens that is not a poor quality lens (such as kit lens 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6) but also not a pro quality?

It seems lots of decent lenses that are not L lenses, are USM. Is it okay to assume most lenses that are USM are somewhat decent in image quality?

As far as I am concerned, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is the best bang for the buck around bar none. I used to have this lens when I had a crop camera, but since gone with the 24-105mm f/4 IS with my 5D. I miss the f2/8 every day. Save your money.. get one. You'll not regret it. It deserves the "L" stripe for sure! non EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM

I've heard the same about that lens. It's practically an L lens...but Canon doens't give EF-S lenses the L designation.

Also, not all USM lenses are that great. There are actually two types of Canon USM...one being a gear driven motor, which is good but not great. The other is 'ring' USM, which is fast and practically silent.

As for how to tell if a lens is better than the 'entry level' is by price. If it's less than $300...it's probably not as good at a +$300 lens.

Some good examples are the 50mm F1.4 and the 85mm F1.8. Both are just over $300 and great lenses for that money. Also, the 75-300mm (non IS) isn't a great lens...and it's <$300.

Thanks, i guess ur right ill have to somewhat look at price to determine if its a decent lens. I do know in lenses, u get what u pay for.
I currently have 50mm F/1.4 its great ;)

One problem with that lens u suggested, im wanting to stay away from EF-S since eventually I want to move to a 5D. I dont want a spend a lot of a lens if its EF-S

One problem with that lens u suggested, im wanting to stay away from EF-S since eventually I want to move to a 5D. I don't want a spend a lot of a lens if its EF-S
A lot of people are going that route. But remember that if you do go with a 5D, you will either still have your XTi or you could sell it, in which case, you could sell the EF-S lens as well. And lenses hold their value much better than these cameras.

A lot of people are going that route. But remember that if you do go with a 5D, you will either still have your XTi or you could sell it, in which case, you could sell the EF-S lens as well. And lenses hold their value much better than these cameras.

true... I plan on keeping the XTi as a backup, i want all my lenses to fit on both bodies... so EF-S wont work.

I've even heard the 50mm 1.4 is better than the 1.2 in some ways. For instance the minimum aperture of the 1.2 is f/16 and the 1.4 is f/22.

I've even heard the 50mm 1.4 is better than the 1.2 in some ways. For instance the minimum aperture of the 1.2 is f/16 and the 1.4 is f/22.
Whats funny is I think my lens has a defect when at F/22. One of the blades isnt in correct position but its only in F22, i hardly will ever use F22 and it doesnt matter a whole lot, its just basically not a perfect shape like it should be. The blude is like a half a millimeter off out of position ... hard to explain :S

Most reactions

New Topics

Back