New lens...new ways to melt light.

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Fast glass melts light. I got a used Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AI-S yesterday. I took it to work and got a few on lunch. Manual focus and guess-exposure is challenging, but very fun!

:thumbup: or :thumbdown: ?

4096418465_86dc8451db.jpg

4097227936_4fd0c3a35c.jpg

Love the first one!
Second one, not so sure about, the location of the out of focus branch is messing with my eyes.

Yea, these abstract-bokeh shots are definitely not for everyone, so I am not offended at all. Thanks for looking, and I'm glad you liked the first shot!

howd you get backlighting on the foreground leaves on #1 but the background leaves are still well exposed?... is the light coming from the right side?

i like the processing in the 2nd shot... or if no processing... i like the feel of it

You took these with a f/1.8? I can only find the 105mm f/2.8.

Yea it's an AI-S lens, 105mm f/1.8. Pretty amazing lens so far, I'm glad I found it.

howd you get backlighting on the foreground leaves on #1 but the background leaves are still well exposed?... is the light coming from the right side?

i like the processing in the 2nd shot... or if no processing... i like the feel of it

I achieved the lighting in the first one like this: I was behind the tree, and the sun was shining from the front, slightly right of the camera. I looked for a translucent leaf, because I wanted to keep the background exposed. I tried shooting a leaf that wasn't transparent and that leaf was almost black when exposing for the background. Thus the key for this was finding the right leaf, and using that as the foreground object.

WOW! I am very pleased that you aren't sure if the 2nd is PP. I do quite a bit of PP and often times I wonder if it's too much. But since you thought possibly it wasn't PP, then I think that's a good thing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Most reactions

Back