NEW LENS!!! (Sigma 70-200 f/2.8)

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I just got a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 DG HSM off eBay. I CANNOT WAIT.:hail: Does anyone else have this lens? What do you think of it?

I feel like a little kid: almost jumping for joy!!!:lol:

I don't have it - Sigma discontinued the non-HSM version and I'm waiting for them to release the new one for my mount. I've called them and can confirm that Sigma seem to be unaware of the concept of different departments communicating with each other. Grumble grumble...

But I'm very happy for you :lol: congratulations, please let us know how you get on with it :)

Get yourself into the gym and fast! ;) LOL
Seriously though, 80-200 f2.8s are great lenses but heavy!! If you are shooting the Rebel through it you might take care about supporting it instead of just letting it dangle off the strap.

$.02

mike

Thanks guys. I usually shoot sports with a monopod. If I ever use it as a walkaround lens (besides being miserable), I will be sure to hold it by the lens.

Anyone have it? Anyone?

I've got the 70-200 non HSM for pentax. It's a nice lens but is pretty heavy. I was talking w/ Zaphod about it earlier. I bought it mainly for weddings but I've used it just snapping around at other events too. It's a little soft at the end of the focal range wide open, but I think most are. It's sometimes difficult to use w/o a tripod indoors unless there's a lot of light b/c you need a shutterspeed > 1/200 to avoid camera shake. Not an issue too much if you increase ISO. I like it and it's a nice lens, I just don't use it as much as I should. I considered selling it and buying a pentax 77mm 1.8 since it's geared more for portraits which is more my interest right now, but I'm still hanging on to it for now. I don't think I would find another new one for the $600 I bought it for.
It's a good purchase to have in your arsenal though. I recently got the 24-70 2.8 and it's pretty much my everyday lens right now. Really happy w/ that one.

I Had that lens for about a week before I got a smokin deal on the canon L version and sold it.It is a very nice lens.Very sharp wide open, very quiet,and just as fast as the canon L.I say it is more quiet than the canon version.I didnt have any complaints about it and the only reason I sold it was that I got such a good deal on the L lens.
As far as weight it is no heavier than the canon that I could tell.
Matter a fact I get really tired of people complaining about the weight of a lens.It is a professional grade lens and is built as such so it has a bit more weight.
I meen come on, if they cant sling a 70-200mm around for a bit then mabye they should stick to knitting or something:lmao: :lmao:
Anyway youll Love the sigma it is a top notch lens.

Glad to hear! I can't wait til I get it. It's scheduled to come on Tuesday.

Lars, I saw your website (VERY nice). Are there any photos on there shot with the Sigma?

Most reactions

Back