New Lens

timfrommass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Currently I have a Nikkor 50mm and 35mm 1.8 lens that I use for my sharpest shots. For my walk around zoom lens I use the 18-105 kit lens that came with the D90. It takes pretty good photos, but obviously not as sharp as the primes. I would love a even a little more range though, and I'm wondering how some of these 3rd party multi-purpose zooms would compare picture quality wise to the kit lens I have? Would they be better or worse? I don't have a big budget for this, and in fact would probably sell the 18-105 to get it, so that said here are a couple I've been looking at.

888306 Sigma 18mm - 200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS (Optical Stabilizer) HSM Autofocus Aspherical Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

77D306 Sigma 18mm - 200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC Autofocus Aspherical Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras Including the D40

AF014NII700 Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI-II B.I.M. (Built-in Motor) LD Aspherical (IF) AF Zoom Lens with Macro, for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - U.S.A. Warranty

AF018NII700 Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-f/6.3 XR DI-II B.I.M. (Built-in Motor) LD Aspherical (IF) AF Zoom with Macro, for Nikon Digital SLRs - U. S. A. Warranty

-tim

Used to own 18-200 tamron. its focusing speed IN-DOORS SUCKED.
I have 18-200 nikon - use it for EVERYTHING and I mean everything. On your d90, Boost the sharpness to about 5-6 & keep it b/n f/5.6-11 and you'll fall in-love with your 18-105.

Just realized I put this in the wrong section, grrr.

Believe me, I'd love to get the Nikkor 18-200VR but at $700 that's not in the cards

The 55-200 is obviously an outstanding bargain, but the point of changing my main walk around lens would be to get something that does everything. Not being able to go as wide as 18mm would be a big downer

I'll only make the switch if I get the feeling that any of these after market lenses will perform as well as the 18-105 I have. So anymore thoughts?

-tim

Keep in mind that any lens with such a huge range isn't going to be spectacular in any given area. The convenience of that range is a trade off. If you're going to compare the sharpness to your primes, or want to get the same quality from an 18-200, you'll be disappointed.

if you don't like your 18-105, you're not going to like any superzoom.

Just realized I put this in the wrong section, grrr.

Believe me, I'd love to get the Nikkor 18-200VR but at $700 that's not in the cards

The 55-200 is obviously an outstanding bargain, but the point of changing my main walk around lens would be to get something that does everything. Not being able to go as wide as 18mm would be a big downer

I'll only make the switch if I get the feeling that any of these after market lenses will perform as well as the 18-105 I have. So anymore thoughts?

-tim

I currently have the 18-55 and the 55-200 and I understand the desire to have just one lens and avoid switching. I've looked at the Nikon 18-200 and the photographer here uses it its a great lens but its not cheap. I then looked at the Tamron's and the Sigma's While at 1st glance they look nice a close review of comment they start to show issues. Lots of comments can be found about poor low light performance, slow to focus and short life span.

My other hobby is automotive the their is a saying
1) Fast
2) cheap
3) reliable

Pick two

I am beginning to think their is a similar rule with lenses

1) cheap
2) good image quality
3) reliable

Pick two

I've decided that I want the 18-200 and the 70-300(100-450 for my DX format D5000)

I'll probably get the 70-300 first(maybe an early birthday present if I'm lucky) Then the 18-200 when 3 lenses gets to be too much of a pain.

I'm not trying to compare the performance of these lenses to my primes, that's why I have those. I'm not unhappy with the 18-105 either. The idea is to see if one of these lenses compares to the 18-105 but with the added convenience of the farther reach from a single lens. So anyone who has actually used any of these lenes have anything to say about their performance? I get all of the general info everyone is throwing out and I appreciate the feedback, but I'm looking for some more specific comments about these lenses

-Tim

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-200mm-3-5-6-3-Optical-Stabilizer/product-reviews/B000NOSCGW/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sigma AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS (Optical Stabilizer) Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras[/ame]

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon DSLR

Hum I thought I had looked at the Tamron 18-250 and seen negative reviews. Thats not the case. Not many on amazon but all acceptable. Time to look at this one more closely

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
On Amazon the Tamron 18-250 sure does get a lot of great feedback. So does the 18-200 Sigma with OS though. It looks like there are reviews out there that say there is nearly no image quality difference between that Sigma and the Nikon 18-200 VR

-tim

I got my 18-200 as part of the kit with d300s from buydig.com - got a better price then b&h= i'm happy

look at my sig...

If you are going to get a lens with such a large focal range, I would definitely say this is a time to not skimp. Avoid all 3rd party brands IMO. Get the Nikon 18-200 and call it a day.

Most reactions

Back