New Lens

sk8tography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello
So, I'm looking to buy a new lens for my t2i for a trip to L.A and San Fransisco. I've only used the kit lens 18-55mm so I have no idea about any other lenses. I know that canon/sigma/tamron each have a 18-200mm that are great for vacation, but have some cons. I'm also thinking of a canon 28-105. I'm not going to be taking pictures that need to be zoomed into a lot, I just need a lens that will go a decent range so that I don't have to carry another one with me because I find the kit lens limiting and to be honest I hate it :greenpbl: Any suggestions would be awesome. I'm also on a tighter budget and I'm willing to buy used.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
The 28-105 is an older, film-era design. The 28mm x 1.6 FOV factor means the lens will be roughly a 45mm equivalent on the short end...NOT wide enough for most uses when you want something wide. A better choice would be an 18-135 OR an 18-200, if you are in search of a "weekender" type of one-lens-does-it-all kind of lens that's not too big, not too expensive, and which can give you a decent wide view, as well as telephoto views.

OP
S

sk8tography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The 28-105 is an older, film-era design. The 28mm x 1.6 FOV factor means the lens will be roughly a 45mm equivalent on the short end...NOT wide enough for most uses when you want something wide. A better choice would be an 18-135 OR an 18-200, if you are in search of a "weekender" type of one-lens-does-it-all kind of lens that's not too big, not too expensive, and which can give you a decent wide view, as well as telephoto views.

Okay, well my main priorities are good quality, and light weight. Is there a better of the two?

grafxman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
You appear to be in luck. I used the Sigma 18-250mm for thousands of photos with my 50D and 7D. KEH has some available here:

Canon Digital Non-Mfg Zoom Lenses - KEH.com

They also have some Tamrons as well however I have no experience with those particular Tamrons. The Tamron I do have experience with is quite poor when it comes to focusing in dim light. You will not be disappointed with the Sigma 18-250mm. It's lightweight and focuses quickly.

Gavjenks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The above options are good, and there are a ton of perfectly good choices in this class of lens, but my standard advice for people looking for a great, affordable, crop-frame "walkaround lens" for Canon is the 18-135 IS STM.

Great optics, the fastest AF technology Canon offer, IS, and a very useful range, for a very reasonable $500 or so.

I especially recommend this to you, since you stated that you don't normally require much at the telephoto end.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics