New lens

55-250 or 70-300

• Total voters

Poultynz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
good morning, I have a 18-55 lens and am going to buy a second lens for a bit more zoom to shoot animals.

I am looking at either a 55-250 or 70-300. Am I going to miss out not having the 55-70 range if I get the smaller telephoto lens?

Thanks for your help.

Your question is far to vague and as a result, ultimately unanswerable. There's far more to choosing a zoom lens than just focal length.

What else do you want to know?

Other considerations:
Weight
Dimensions
Balance on your camera
Filter size
Maximum aperture
Minimum aperture
Variable min/max aperture
Bokeh
Ring placement
Zoom creep / lock
Tulip hood availability
3rd party compatibility issues
Foot availability
Minimum focus
Autofocus speed

Whichever is best for (or even good at all) would depend on what you photograph and how.

What and where you want to shoot. Will it be set up shots of animals in a studio, at the zoo or out in the wild? Are you going to be shooting mostly in low light or bright sunshine? Are the animals going to be moving fast, or mostly static? Are the animals going to be small or large? Are you going to be able to get close to them?

I'm assuming your Canon with a crop camera. The 55-250 is quite good, I had the first version, supposedly later versions are even better. Many say it's better than canons 70-300 IS. It is good value, but obviously not to good if you ever intend on going full frame.

Between the two I'd save the money and but the smaller lighter one, but if I was buying I'd compare it to the tamron 70-300 vc first

I'm assuming your Canon with a crop camera. The 55-250 is quite good, I had the first version, supposedly later versions are even better. Many say it's better than canons 70-300 IS. It is good value, but obviously not to good if you ever intend on going full frame.

Between the two I'd save the money and but the smaller lighter one, but if I was buying I'd compare it to the tamron 70-300 vc first
I have a Canon D100 (Rebel SL1) with the kit 18-55 STM IS Lens, I am looking at either the Canon 55-250 IS STM or the Tamrom 70-300 Di VC USD. Shooting well lit slow moving animals and touristy shots.

Thanks.

I can't say for sure as the 55-250 I had was not stm. I am sure though that this stm one is definitely the better option if video is your thing,but I'd buy the tamron if mostly stills. Its a well built, longer range model with very good stabilization. I don't think the 55-70 range matters here

good morning, I have a 18-55 lens and am going to buy a second lens for a bit more zoom to shoot animals.

I am looking at either a 55-250 or 70-300. Am I going to miss out not having the 55-70 range if I get the smaller telephoto lens?

Thanks for your help.

If your looking to shoot wildlife , then it depends on how much money you want to spend and what kind of camera you have, is it APSC or full frame?
if it's full frame and you got the money, you could get a 70-200 lens, if not you can get a 70-300 lens or a prime 500 mm lens.
the lens yo have now 18-55 looks like you got kit lens?? normally that lens is a kit lens that comes with a camera you buy, those lenses are usually limited in quality..

Donny

Yes it is a kit lens and it is an APSC camera

What do you wish to shoot with this new focal length?

Wildlife, general purpose, street, portrait?
Answering this can give a better answer from us since there may be a better lens out there for your intended purpose.

Most reactions

Back